4A-FE fuel consumption q

ThePog

1 hour ago, kws said:

A 4AFE Carib wont be "OBD" it'll be toyotas old diagnostic protocol with a plug under the bonnet. You can short terminals and count flashes of the engine light to see if there are codes, otherwise there is/was an old diagnostic tool that Toyota might have that can give live data. Its nothing like OBD2 though.

If its a similar sensor to a Blacktop 4AGE this is the procedure for testing it.

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 7.06.52 PM.png

Im 2 for 2 on Corollas with buggered thermostats too. Comes up to temp when sitting, but real slow to come up when driving and will start to drop on the gauge as you drive. First one was stuck open, I'll bet this one is too.

She will pick up the sensor tomorrow, I'll get her to go to to repconand get a thermostat as well...

1 hour ago, kws said:

A 4AFE Carib wont be "OBD" it'll be toyotas old diagnostic protocol with a plug under the bonnet. You can short terminals and count flashes of the engine light to see if there are codes, otherwise there is/was an old diagnostic tool that Toyota might have that can give live data. Its nothing like OBD2 though.

If its a similar sensor to a Blacktop 4AGE this is the procedure for testing it.

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 7.06.52 PM.png

Im 2 for 2 on Corollas with buggered thermostats too. Comes up to temp when sitting, but real slow to come up when driving and will start to drop on the gauge as you drive. First one was stuck open, I'll bet this one is too.

If it's the blacktop you need a thermostat for, don't even screw around and just go straight to Toyota.

Noone else actually has one that's the right size. Their catalogues are all wrong.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ajg193 said:

If it's the blacktop you need a thermostat for, don't even screw around and just go straight to Toyota.

Noone else actually has one that's the right size. Their catalogues are all wrong.

Already did, I only use genuine thermostats as they arent that expensive. Just got to put it in now.

• Like 1

On 24/05/2021 at 08:33, ThePog said:

We have a new set of plugs for it, just have not got around to putting them in. I should probably tell her to take it to the garage for an OBD check.

This was such a good Idea I took the Raum to Supercheap to get a code read :-)

They only do OBD :-(

15 hours ago, ThePog said:

She will pick up the sensor tomorrow, I'll get her to go to to repco and get a thermostat as well...

And there's every chance this could be the issue here too (no temp guage) 

• Like 2

Has she measured how much it's actually using? 

My stepdaughter had a similar complaint with her Starlet from a similar era recently. Trying to explain to her how to fill the thing up, then note how many km it goes and how many litres it took when she next filled it was excruciating. She hasn't done it, but has stopped talking about the amount of fuel it uses. 

31 minutes ago, hohocc said:

Has she measured how much it's actually using? 

My stepdaughter had a similar complaint with her Starlet from a similar era recently. Trying to explain to her how to fill the thing up, then note how many km it goes and how many litres it took when she next filled it was excruciating. She hasn't done it, but has stopped talking about the amount of fuel it uses. 

Ye I was thinking she needs to do this so we can see what it is actually using before we mess with it.

• 3 weeks later...

I get about 14km/l in mine, but thats mainly open road driving. exclusively town driving = 10-11km/l. I do rev it.

And I find that my tank is actually closer to 37l than 42/45 or whatever is stated in the NZDM owners manual

/No I won't fuck my fuel pump just to get a definitive answer.

See if she can fill it, reset the trip counter to 0 and divide the trip counter number by the amount of litres she put in the vehicle. Can be as easy as just taking a photo of the gas pump reading once she's done.