Rollcage build yarns

shizzl

I'm putting a cage into my 96 RS legacy. 

Keen to get anyone's thoughts or experiences with building their own cage. 

I'll be using a pre bent kit as a starting point, 6 point with double crosses, bowtie, roof brace, floor plates. 

Could be keen to sub out the install if any OSer is keen to take it on. 

Fun times..

Take a good look at Hans angle requirements, even if you don't currently intend on running one decide on seat position before commencing the cage build. 

You'll need to Decide if you are going to fully gut the dash and run a dash bar in the cage or not. Then you get deeper into steering colum mounts, maybe eliminating the til column etc. 

Run the harness bar in the main hoop, not off the back stays if at all possible, it reduces stretch / movement in the shoulder straps. 

Have a think about how easy it is to get in/out especially how high up you intend to run the junction of the upper door bar and the A pillar bar. The higher this is the more impossible it becomes to get in and out. 

• Like 2

read the rules for whatever sanctioning body you are going to be running under 5 times then read them again.

there are many differences between manz/fia/nzdra/ihra/nhra/oranz  etc. etc. etc.

alot of the time you can actually build something compliant to several but you have to understand the rules. height of the aforementioned door bars,  placement of backstays, relationship of main hoop to driver etc. can all be subtly different.

• Like 2

if you are removing the doors to make access easier, ensure you have the door card available for position the side intrusion bars.

whole lot easier to shift the bar during cage build, than to relocate door handles / latches / etc....................... not that i have done it!!!!!

• Like 3