Road car repair certification and seam welding

PSk

Hi,

I'm going through the process of getting a unitary shelled vehicle repair certified to get it back on the road. Yes I let the registration lapse, as I took it to Australia and never thought I was coming back, but here I am. I have the VIN number and had the first discussion with my repair certifier.

My question is: When replacing the floor panels of the car, I seam welded them. No other structural changes have been made. My repair certifier is saying I need to remove the seam welding and replace with 8mm plugs welds no closer than 50mms, which to me seams very wide to me (?).

I've tried searching the NZTA and LVV sites, and yes I can see lots of references that the repairs must be carried out as original, so my repair certifier has a valid point, but seam welding is a very common modification to a 1970's unitary car and as I've not done it anywhere (okay I have a few minor places where I got carried away to remove) other than the floors I cannot see how it is a bad thing, and how it would affect the shell's performance in an accident, considering collapsible zones weren't really a thing in the early 1970's and again I have not seam before or after the floor panels.

I'm hoping somebody here can confirm what the deal is with seam welding please, before I start grinding away ...

Thanks
Pete 

g) poor repairs that have not returned the structure to within a safe tolerance of when it was manufactured (Note 3) (Note 6), eg:

i. filler has been used in an attempt to conceal corrosion damage or deformation of a component

ii. a high strength steel component has been heated

iii. a component has been strengthened.