DAD's 1984 Hino fire appliance house truck pikey project

DAD

Yes, can get all the extruded bits in aluminium from Ullrich (other places too I imagine). The 2 other estimates I've had for the GRP/Foam composite panels for a project of this size have been in the $20k+ range. Better than the 'finished box' price, but still...

Good question! At the moment erring towards a false floor in the luton. Other idea under consideration is a 'mild tilting' house that pivots at the back and can be raised somewhat at the front on bottlejacks/rams to provide clearance. Need to get my Pythagoras out.

Best option for tilt cab thru loft floor I have seen is loft floor has hinge across the middle and tracks/ rollers on the outside edge - hand winch under cab to raise it before tilt cab - will grab pics off mates one if I’m near it soon 

Gonna need a lot of room to tilt a twin cab 

Even with a normal sleeper cab you can see here on our Hino how much the cab comes up in height as it swings...

1005928351_hinoside4(Medium).jpg.82d59aa5fdaff1b853f242759b537325.jpg

Here's a pic looking forward with the insulated bedroom floor lifted and cab swung through. You can see the rope and pullys at the front.

Hinge for the floor was roughly 300mm ahead of the head board iirc....1697444019_bedroomfloorraised(Medium).jpg.eece6c5c924b1e54f6f5c3c3073c0a14.jpg

Sort of make out the room needed for the front of the cab to swing through...

186849277_raftersup(Medium).jpg.cef5d82921c9ac95de71c6c1ea244e95.jpg

You could always have a lightweight floor that lifts straight up, a rope and pulley in each corner.  Avoid the hinge and then have plenty of room for the rear of the cab to swing up.

Or make the whole house removable on legs and move the truck out from under for full access. You'll barely ever need to tilt a cab on a Hino anyway :-)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

There's a few different ways I've seen for doing the cab tilt thing. 

Hinging the deck at the rear and tilting the entire deck

Lifting floor like @yoeddynz

And another is hinging the entire above-cab overhang along the roofline and tilting just that section up. (We've had a few horse trucks like this and I'll try get a pic next time one is in, even just for entertainment).

This one is electric hydraulic, has a changeover valve from the taillift. Dinky telescopic ram you might just be able to make out about 1-2m under deck.Screenshot_20210610-210549_Gallery.jpg.17dc88e70ddd96219410e9c348049cfb.jpg

There's another like this but the deck is smaller, lighter, and uses a large bottle Jack just forward of the rear axle 

• Like 2

Given the length of your cab back from the pivot point you'll need to lift the floor clear by quite some height. With a fully kitted out house on the back it'll be a fair chunk of weight to lift eh.

The ones with a hinged up 'luton' section above the cab that Mof talks of- yeah I have seen them too and a friend around the corner from us had started building his like that on his twin steer Hino. But again- if one builds a decent sized bedroom up there you need to allow for a fair old bit of weight to hinge and lift.

Hey love your project, housetrucks are something I have had minimal involvement with but have spent a bit of time around trucks is there a reason you couldnt make a steel frame and do a outer skin in 1.2mm Ali? Would be quite cost effective and with some insulation and ply over top would be quite a good insulator? Would be quite a similar design principle to how alot of van conversions work. Has the benefit of all your ali work can be done with a skilsaw it cuts really good.

Thanks for the input @Geophy! The plan is indeed to make a steel frame with aluminium cladding (actually pondering using aluminium signboard rather than bare ali sheet, but similar concept). Will use wooden battens and ply interior cladding, with rigid insulation (polystyrene or polyurethane) in the voids. In related news some of the steel arrived this week! 

IMG-20210619-WA0029.jpg

IMG-20210619-WA0032.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hannah and I are just starting on a coffee cart build for some customers. We'll be using alloy composite cladding for some of it. I think 4.8 kg a sheet I was told. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out as I am normally more of a woodsy cladding type fella.

A really good read is this one. Its quite old now but Rob built a very choice 'housetruck (more like a battle truck...) indeed, then another one. He stuck alloy check plate on, first with a industrial grade (but more god like) 3m adhesive tape. But then moved on to a sikaflex adhesive. Its a good read!...

http://www.robgray.com/ontheroad/wothahellizat/

12711.jpg

32414.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...