Cam chain guide replacement Honda 125

Pee Dubs

Ok so I have my CT125 engine (70s/80s SOHC design, same as CB125 and others) somewhat apart after timing advancer failed. I suspect lack of cam chain replacement and excessive slop caused this, so intent is to replace the cam chain + tensioner before timing her up and sending it.

The tensioner came with the cam chain guide that sits on the opposite side of the chain. I thought it would be a simple case of flicking the either the top or bottom end out from where it seats to remove the old one, and reverse procedure to replace with the new, but the bottom end is out and the guide won’t budge. The new guide has moulded pins part way up it that (I think) sit between the barrel and the head and hold it in the middle, so looks like I can’t replace it without taking the head off - who’s done this before and can confirm this is how these work?

Next question: how important is it to replace the guide as well as the tensioner? I don’t really want to take the head off as if I do then I might as well take the barrel off, piston out, and nek minut I’m rebuilding the whole top end, which wasn’t the plan! So, should I just replace the chain and tensioner and she’ll be right?

20210515_182451_copy_567x1008.jpg

20210515_182500_copy_567x1008.jpg

20210515_184131_copy_567x1008.jpg

Yeah same as the gn125 I reckon. One side sits in the grooves under the head gasket and the other is held in place between the barrel and head

It's honestly a 10 minute job so you may as well replace the guide as well. If the chain was worn out the guide probably is

11 minutes ago, tortron said:

Yeah same as the gn125 I reckon. One side sits in the grooves under the head gasket and the other is held in place between the barrel and head

It's honestly a 10 minute job so you may as well replace the guide as well. If the chain was worn out the guide probably is

That's kinda what it looks like to me.

But obviously then need to order a new head gasket, which could make a 10min job another week or more...

And while the head is off I might as well chuck in new rings yeah?