Kilmat?

Shifter

Morning.

Finally got the right stickers on my old van and next job on the list is going to be doing the window and door rubbers and sound deadening/insulation to make the drive a little less like sticking your head in a concrete mixer.

See Kilmat comes up a fair bit on here via Amazon but lots of people are still building their stuff. Any feedback from a before and after perspective using it?

Because my motor sits between the front seats I'll prob go real thick Dynamat on the doghouse but I'll need another mortgage to do the rest of the tin can in that. So price wise Kilmat looks less painful.

Cheers!

Van Small.jpg

• Like 2

I travel long distances in my van. I used kilmat, el cheapo and dynamat. 

The best results I got were from heavy shagpile carpet in the empty deck area and over the doghouse I put some thick beach towels folded up. Being a commer, I can't put fitted carpet as I need to get into the engine bay frequently. <_<

Where did you get those wing mirrors? I love them. 

• Like 1

so you have 2 things going on here

add weight to the panel to stop drumming i.e dynamat stuff on wheelwells, flat panels

but then you also want something to absorb the sound so you want to use something like automotive underlay or a dense closed foam sheet product

if you have stuff rattling you use thinner foam sheets or fabric tape

dynamat will help with tinnyness, give the doors a nice thunk when you close them, but you gotta have something else as well to help with muffling noise

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dmulally said:

I travel long distances in my van. I used kilmat, el cheapo and dynamat. 

The best results I got were from heavy shagpile carpet in the empty deck area and over the doghouse I put some thick beach towels folded up. Being a commer, I can't put fitted carpet as I need to get into the engine bay frequently. <_<

Where did you get those wing mirrors? I love them. 

Great advice. Thanks mate. Mirrors are cheapies. Check out West Coast Jr on eBay or amazon. They're already starting to rust but I'll paint them anyway, too shiny for this old thing. The arms have been shortened up a lot as they were a risk to pedestrians and cyclists! Only half joking...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tortron said:

so you have 2 things going on here

add weight to the panel to stop drumming i.e dynamat stuff on wheelwells, flat panels

but then you also want something to absorb the sound so you want to use something like automotive underlay or a dense closed foam sheet product

if you have stuff rattling you use thinner foam sheets or fabric tape

dynamat will help with tinnyness, give the doors a nice thunk when you close them, but you gotta have something else as well to help with muffling noise

Thanks mate. I've got everything going on. Rattles, noise, heat. I figure Kilmat, Dynamat or whatever will be step one of a few. But thanks, good to know it's going to need help with muffling sound. Cheers