Shultzfactors cortina wagon.

RUNAMUCK

43 minutes ago, igor said:

My first thought on seeing this was to wonder if it was my dad's old car (rego KH854 I think). Then I decided it was the wrong shade of blue.

Wish you both all the best with it. 

Thanks mate, I’ve been getting heat from my mates about buying safer first cars, but surely you can’t beat something special like this for a first car. 

• Like 3

I don't think anything is safe when it's most likely to get hit by a Ford ranger. Did you consider a k11 micra lol. 

I think that valance will come back. If you just focus on those dents in the pressed bar section the rest of it will straighten out by itself 

• Haha 1

I would have made an attempt to bash the original valance into shape with a cheap set of hammers and dollies. Or even cut out the REALLY mangled bits and make little patch panels. Remaking the valance from scratch with all those curves in it is some advanced level shit.

This guy who talks funny has good videos on making up patch panels. You should watch every single one of his videos. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6JPmJ_aicru8XPWr3EvJnw

• Like 1

Yeah I'd fix it, but there's easily $300 worth of time in it to make from scratch

IMG_20210503_185001.jpg.25c67fd4b03fffb36d28bbf3541d4ec9.jpg

Focus on those sections(top seam and the bit above the cent) A dolly will get in behind no worries. Then once they are straight, cut those stretched flat sections out and replace them

• Like 1

I'd you wanted to make it from scratch you would really want a shrinker stretcher, some wooden mauls, a shot bag and a good assortment of hammers and dolly's. And a bunch of time

Here's how I would do it

Start with an over sized sheet of steel

Put your main bend in it (area below the cut outs) 

Pin that to my workbench and fold it over a pipe to get the curve for the section with the cut outs

Put the upper section bends in

So now you have a "2d" copy of the panel with curves only going up and down (no complex curves going in 3 ways yet) 

Then I would work along the panel and start stretching in here and there by hammering on dolly to give the panel its general curve. But more work with a shot bag for the more bulbous ends.  Will also need to shrink the flanges on top and bottom

Cut the holes out and hammer and dolly the folded lips. Some might make more sense to weld. 

Probably just fix it unless it's worse than it looks? 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, tortron said:

I'd you wanted to make it from scratch you would really want a shrinker stretcher, some wooden mauls, a shot bag and a good assortment of hammers and dolly's. And a bunch of time

Here's how I would do it

Start with an over sized sheet of steel

Put your main bend in it (area below the cut outs) 

Pin that to my workbench and fold it over a pipe to get the curve for the section with the cut outs

Put the upper section bends in

So now you have a "2d" copy of the panel with curves only going up and down (no complex curves going in 3 ways yet) 

Then I would work along the panel and start stretching in here and there by hammering on dolly to give the panel its general curve. But more work with a shot bag for the more bulbous ends.  Will also need to shrink the flanges on top and bottom

Cut the holes out and hammer and dolly the folded lips. Some might make more sense to weld. 

Probably just fix it unless it's worse than it looks? 

That’s what I started with. I tried getting a curve in it but couldn’t get it tight enough. I then cut the one section and hammered lip last in the top and bottom. Then welded the bottom section back on. Good practice for my welding, but I might go to your last advice and try panel beating it first. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adoom said:

I would have made an attempt to bash the original valance into shape with a cheap set of hammers and dollies. Or even cut out the REALLY mangled bits and make little patch panels. Remaking the valance from scratch with all those curves in it is some advanced level shit.

This guy who talks funny has good videos on making up patch panels. You should watch every single one of his videos. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6JPmJ_aicru8XPWr3EvJnw

This guys is pretty good value!! Thanks for the link.