Mitsubishi OEM parts websites... dodgy?

tomble

I'm hunting for a replacement fuel gauge sender unit (MB487477) and I've noticed these websites before, there's a bunch of super similar websites that have kind of suspiciously similar names - almost like they're just spam ecommerce fraud sites.  Very similar pricing, identical information, just minor branding differences.  And they all have the part in stock which is also suspicious - all other sources I've seen are out of stock...

Annoyingly I can't find my part new anywhere else.

Anyone know what the story is with these?  Legit or no?

You will find that the part isnt in stock after you order

i havnt used it but some guys on a mitsi forum in the states have and they got their parts, so....?

the coil part of your sender looks identical to the one that was in my l200. I bet you could either use one from another mitsi, or mix and match another one to your existing mounting flange. I stuck a commodore sender into mine because i have a commodore dash

Seems that these days amayama doesn't take your money until they have confirmed stock.

I'd imagine it is hard to keep track of parts in warehouses spread across probably 50 countries, especially when the car was made before the internet

22 minutes ago, ajg193 said:

Seems that these days amayama doesn't take your money until they have confirmed stock.

I'd imagine it is hard to keep track of parts in warehouses spread across probably 50 countries, especially when the car was made before the internet

dunno, rock auto do it pretty well

but yeah everyone else fucks it up

Good success with Amayama too, hit and miss with what is available, but to be expected with ~40 year old cars. Have got some oddball parts in the past. Pretty sure they have to contact other warehouses / suppliers for some items. Rockauto is better in that it's all in one site with no need for that. Amayama is genuine parts though only IME, which is nice.

That part shows as not available though, so not much use. I can get one for my car off rockauto, so that's certainly worth a look. It's not worth the nearly $300 at this point though, i'll just use the trip meter for free.

• Like 1

Amayama are buying/onselling off OEM's direct in their home countries. They are stuck with database updates from OEM's (who don't give a shit about old parts), I buy lots of Honda shit for the daily from them and the stock listings are mint always get what you want at 1/4 local prices.

OId mate rockauto controls the stock so they should have a tip top database.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

MB487477 is only going to be available as NOS as the status with Japan is obsolete/cancelled and no longer in production. Your best bet for something like that will probably be ebay or other owners.

11 hours ago, kws said:

MB487477 is only going to be available as NOS as the status with Japan is obsolete/cancelled and no longer in production. Your best bet for something like that will probably be ebay or other owners.

Sorry what does NOS mean?

At this stage I've tried 3 places (why not :D).  My fallback is going to be buying a Pajero 2nd gen sender and surgically attaching it to the remains of my one.

24 minutes ago, tortron said:

New old stock

I. E been sitting on the shelf for 49 years 

Ah, that'd be nice actually!  It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to frankenstein my own

@ProZac did some experimenting and found that the pajero 2nd gen has the same resistance range.  So the plan would be to grab one of them, separate the workings from the lid, salvage the starion's lid and weld it together somehow.  Zac did his experimenting with an aliexpress unit but says it was pretty shoddy build quality, so the next decision to make is whether to sink >$100 on OEM only to chop it up.

So since I don't need the sender for quite a while, I've been spending time just casually looking for the real deal.  Absolutely no luck so far :D

• Like 1