Viva 1256 not firing on cylinder two

daveyc123

Hi guys, so I have an issue with my 1256 hc viva in that I'm getting no spark to cylinder two.  I've swapped ht leads, distributor cap  and rotor arm. 

The distributor doesn't appear to have any signs of wear that they are commonly associated with. I have replaced the earth wire inside and also replaced the wire that goes from the coil to the distributor.  I can get a brand new distributor from the UK but it's kinda costly and I don't think its the distributor that's the issue.... But perhaps it is?  I've replaced every other component in the system: coil, points, condenser etc

Is there anything I've missed? Or does anyone have any thoughts on what would cause this? The car has been a project and hasn't seen the road for a while.

Cheers. 

You certain it is no spark and not just a dead cylinder?

When cranking over, does it just constantly repeat the same wug-wug sound or does it go wug-wug-wug-wg-wug-wug-wug-wg - if one cylinder is low on compression the engine will turn over faster on that one

I'd assume you have taken agood plug and lead and put it in the cylinder 2 position and checked for spark. 

Try Measuring the points gap at each position and double check the points are closing when number 2 lobe passes. Could be a lobe has wiped off. Is there no play in the shaft? 

Swapped plugs and leads. Valve clearances have been  set, cylinder head has been fully reconditioned, no play in the shaft.

I've had a mechanic look at it and he's said all lobes are fine. I can check that the points are opening at each position. Burn the mechanic has said they are. 

I'm very much at the limit of my knowledge which is why I passed it over to a mechanic.... But still no luck. 

I will recheck all these things tomorrow evening after work. Thanks for the input!

and you have swapped the leads and plugs around, and still no spark on number 2

both the new and old (was the old one actually old or is it a reproduction one like the new one?)

Some cars (beetles for example) came with tall and short caps and rotors and you can end up with a missmatch that sort of wobbles around

these caps have plug in leads rather than the poke it in and screw it down ones right? (the little screws work better when they are cleaned of corrosion)

it would be interesting to see the inside of the caps and if #2 contact looks any different to the others

46 minutes ago, daveyc123 said:

Compression is good.

Yep no spark by eye and also pulling the lead off cylinder two makes no difference to how the car runs

3 minutes ago, ajg193 said:

If it has compression and the ignition system is all good then you've probably just got a vacuum leak where the intake manifold feeds that cylinder.