LG's Old Pest Brewery - setting up from scratch...

Lord Gruntfuttock

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 17/05/2021 at 05:56, Lord Gruntfuttock said:

Yep. Had a 745 last night. Get 3 nice beer glass pours out of it. Can completely empty without sludge falling into glass if you pour gently enough. No biggy if some goes in, won't affect taste, just looks grungy.

Wouldn't drink out of the bottle though...

Pour it into a jug. If you do it in one slow movement you can get pretty much all the beer out without disturbing the sediment.

• Like 1

Had one last night. Can completely upend big bott to pour all beer out with no residue. Think it's improved sitting in the fridge a couple of days, yeast cake stays stuck to bottom of bottle, and rinses out fine with bit of hot water afterwards.

Might have a small sesh tonight with some cobbers to see if they work... :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Done 4 brews now and waiting on things to ferment/condition. Done an APA, a Milk Stout, a NZ Pilsner and a Golden Ale. Not sure what to do next, but have some bottling to do before I decide. Tried the Pilsner last night (although too early) and should be ok when properly carbonated...

Looking at making a bottle washing device to make that task easier, and have ordered a wifi tilt sensor to monitor fermentation process in real time. Brew I did last Friday was first one where everything went right/no fuckups so that's something... :)

• Like 2

Yeah I don't mind it so much yet, quite therapeutic washing and rinsing botts, and it only takes an hr or so to bottle when you get into the rhythm. Plus I can take bottles somewhere/give them away. Getting good 500ml botts from the footy club helps, worst bit is getting labels off.
Banged my bottle washer together on Saturday. Cost me $10, all of which was spent on a small chilly bin at the charity shop...
9dqHFbb.jpg

Rigged up a cradle for Dad's old Black & Decker drill out of scrap shelving...
w8C4f8U.jpg

That drops inside, thus...
wuEJwWZ.jpg

To make this enclosed unit. Just rivetted a s/s washer in place inside and out as a wear preventer/guide...
TL1gIla.jpg

And she spins...
wE387P6.jpg

So should be able to plonk this on the bench and see how it goes. If goes ok might rewire with a switch on the bin. Also scored a FastRack drying rack/tray from a brew place on Saturday. Found it tucked away covered in dust, scored it for $17, so bought 2. If I wash bottles at lunchtime and leave to drain they're clean ready for bottling after a sanitising step, which is easy using the bottling tree and squirty plunger thing...

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Love it, great to see the kids getting involved. Did you let them taste the wort at both post mash and post boil?

Great process and looks like a pretty straight forward brew day :D

A cheaper option for yeast nutrient is to just buy bulk bread yeast and throw that in the boil, also i've found that whirlfloc or irish moss in the boil tends to help with removing cold break.

Guessing the clarity ferm was to help prevent chill haze? have you tried a batch without? also if your adding fruit then you probably don't need to worry about chill haze ;)

The brush is a great idea for the labels I normally just dip mine lol

Keen to see it turned out well :D

• Like 1

Ha, they wouldn't go near tasting it, the smell was enough.
Had to corral them for each stage of filming as they drifted away, eldest was a hoot, didn't care her hair wasn't done or was in her PJs. Just banged out the lines and went back to whatever she was doing. And yeah added half a whirlfloc tab at end of boil, prob didn't need the clarity ferm but wanted to try it out. Pretty pleased how it turned out, will be a nice summer tipple, plus it used up some of the berries taking up space in the freezer...

• Like 2