Transmission Shift kits. Questions

Muncie

Ive never gone any further into an auto transmission than a filter change im now wanting to take my daily driver a fair bit further power wise so the trans will need some help to live, educate me.....

Transmission is a 4L60E it will be going behind a Holden L67 with decent helping of boost in my commodore im using the ecotec transmission as its in there and in good nick.

Im looking at a stage 2 kit im happy with a firm shift and may think about a 2500rpm hi-stall converter at same time, Any tips and tricks when digging in to the valve body or other things i should consider to save myself headaches? 

3 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

I'm on a page where people bag those trans out in memes 24/7. Apparently turbo LS shorten their life a bit?

Box of neutrals? Haha I'd like 400hp (budget probably gets thin after that) and i wont be racing it every weekend so hoping extra line pressure good fluid and 3.9 ratio in diff will help situation. 4l60e's theyre cheap enough and easy to change so will see how it goes.

• Like 1

Everyone ever says 4l60 goes in the bin if it's more than a standard motor. Just know you will be blowing it up and putting something else in, and if your ok with that well then it's your choice. If it was me I'd put my time and money into something else as you can't reuse clutch/convertor etc in Anything else after it's grenaded.

I'll find out what exactly was done, but the trans in my chev was rebuilt recently before I got it, it had a few things done to it because it was mostly used for towing 

It shifts quite hard, and had a few upgraded parts. It wasn't cheap   

Ah, just seen this. GMC put these behind the 6.2 Diesels in their 1500 4WD Pickups. We owned one for around 12yrs. We had the trans rebuilt twice in that time. The second time round I questioned the trans shop given they had gone through it years earlier. They basically said there is too much truck for the trans. I get what they meant. The 6.5's came out with 4L80e's behind them in the same truck I understand. I reckon GM did a marginal move putting them in the big arse yank pickups. Just my experience in matters. Oh yeah ... we used the truck to tow tandems/car on a semi irregular basis.

• 2 weeks later...

Dont know why i find this stuff daunting looks very logical. Ive found a transmission place in Auckland who supply alot of good quality parts and good stuff for gm transmissions.

Think I'll throw my existing transmission in with the new engine with a shift kit and just be nice to it for a while as its done plenty of k's but isn't giving me any problems. I'll find a lower k box to rebuild with some upgrades at a later date then turn the wick right up on the engine.

• Like 1