Braided fluid line questions

ul9601

Hi,

I need to make up some braided lines.

I made up a few lengths of stainless braided lines a few years while ago but I forgot some details so I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

1. The fittings are re-usable, right? The stuff I have looks like Russell full flow fitting but probably some non-brand stuff. (it doesn't have any Russell logo)

2. Are the fittings are interchangeable with different manufacturer's hoses etc?

3. Is it ok to connect a fabric braided hose with a stainless braided hose using a union in between? 

4. Where is a good place to pick up a fabric braided hose (like Russell ProClassic but generic non-brand cheaper alternative)? I only need 3 feet. Auckland.

Cheers

1. most of them are resuseable - the issue is disassembly without damage - a heat gun can help here rather than prying too hard and risking gouging sealing surfaces

2. if the hose ID/OD are right for the fitting it should be ok  but there is some potential for issues, so its up to you how confident you are and how critical the hose/connection is. The short answer is its not recommended by the manufacturers

3. yes, but see 2.  as it depends if the fitting is designed to accept both types of hose/both hoses have the same ID/OD dimensions. Ideally better to have the correct end fittings for each hose going to a threaded connection in between

4. there are lots of local sellers  NZKW, STA, scarles, cardwells, proparts, etc. etc. etc. the list goes on google is your friend

• Like 1

There is also a difference in field servicable and crimped fitting type AN hose. The crimp type hose will assemble fine with the screw together fittings but will pop off or leak well under rated pressure. 

Thats with speedflow stuff.

• Like 1

word of advice to the OP.....if the stainless braid flares out like flower petals after the shop cuts it run for cover....or expect to be bleeding from finger tips when you finish installing the fittings......the less flaring, better the quality of product is what I have found over the years.....look up Koul Tools as well if you have the budget....they're a godsend...

• Like 1