Justharry's smokey Mitsubishi V2000 noisy tappet busted auto sharn

fuel

Couldn't find an existing sharn thread so apologies if one already exists.

You could just swap in the entire rear beam from that newer Galant into your V2000 and that way you gain the newer style brakes you can get parts for.

On 12/04/2021 at 17:03, MaxPower said:

if you were closer I have a 1992 manual v3000 here not doing anything that would make a great donor, don’t see to many manual ones 

Random request and sorry if I hijacked the thread but can you get a photo of the sump on the 3000? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Do these have electronic controlled transmissions?

My HiAce had the same symptoms, turned out to be leaking caps and a broken trace in the trans control.

Wasn't actually slipping in first, the ECU wasn't shifting down below second gear so it felt like it was slipping, but manually shifting to L worked fine.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JustHarry said:

Yes they are a computer controlled trans

This is something i looked into but couldnt find the trans computer .... requires further investigation

In my HiAce it's actually in the ECU.

My Pajero JR had a stand alone trans computer in the passengers kick panel (just remembered it had the same issue ha)

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, JustHarry said:

Yes they are a computer controlled trans

This is something i looked into but couldnt find the trans computer .... requires further investigation

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure it will be a hydraulic valve body

It's a KM175 trans with a TCU located in the centre console behind the radio on the top of the 'trans tunnel' bump. It does not have kick down cable, it gets throttle reading from the ECU's TPS and electronically adjusts line pressure to suit. No FWD Galant/Sigma/V2000/V3000 auto trans has a kick down cable, even the most basic carb models still had a TPS stuck on the carb feeding signal to the TCU.

When I've seen similar era Mitsubishi TCU's fail usually you get funny things happening like losing reverse or torque converter lock up clutch being engaged right away which stalls the engine. If you unplug the TCU or if a sensor is faulty or missing it will go into mechanical fail-safe mode where line pressure is default high and you can only engage third gear or reverse mechanically and the torque converter just slips to make up for lack of other gears. Not engaging first gear and slipping 2nd could be a TCU fault though, who knows. I would pull it out and check the state of the caps - you'll find a FWD Sigma or V3000 TCU could probably be substituted in just fine (for troubleshooting purposes at the least anyway).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, fuel said:

It's a KM175 trans with a TCU located in the centre console behind the radio on the top of the 'trans tunnel' bump. It does not have kick down cable, it gets throttle reading from the ECU's TPS and electronically adjusts line pressure to suit. No FWD Galant/Sigma/V2000/V3000 auto trans has a kick down cable, even the most basic carb models still had a TPS stuck on the carb feeding signal to the TCU.

When I've seen similar era Mitsubishi TCU's fail usually you get funny things happening like losing reverse or torque converter lock up clutch being engaged right away which stalls the engine. If you unplug the TCU or if a sensor is faulty or missing it will go into mechanical fail-safe mode where line pressure is default high and you can only engage third gear or reverse mechanically and the torque converter just slips to make up for lack of other gears. Not engaging first gear and slipping 2nd could be a TCU fault though, who knows. I would pull it out and check the state of the caps - you'll find a FWD Sigma or V3000 TCU could probably be substituted in just fine (for troubleshooting purposes at the least anyway).

I have a debonair here i can swap it out of 6g72 and auto

I had the centre consol out yesterday and i didnt find a tcu. Only a power steer controller and the ac/heater computer behind that

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/04/2021 at 06:36, fuel said:

It's definitely there - close to the firewall behind the radio.

76972766_ScreenShot2021-04-25at2_35_10PM.thumb.png.efda860a7a7c08bc8f1b7a02514439be.png

I did locate it today. Its a mare to get out of rhe v2000

I also took the debonairs one out. Turns out one of the plugs is different. Fml

I guess I'll have to try something else