Pee Dubs CB400SS

Pee Dubs

My old CB500 has mostly been sitting in the garage for the last 3 years or so, and despite a bit of time put into it I haven’t really managed to get on top of the poor running issues (ignition related I think). I can’t bring myself to sell it and buy something else, so I’ve been missing out on sweet two-wheeled action all this time...
I decided before Christmas last year that I needed to get an unmolested and running bike to at least get riding, even if it wasn’t properly OS. Problem is for the most part I dislike the styling of modern bikes, or the ones within a reasonable budget at least! I was looking at 80’s GB400TT’s as there were a few for sale, but they didn’t quite have the classic 70’s style I  like. Then I spotted this CB400SS, basically a JDM only early 00's new build 70’s Honda.
It's relatively small, relatively slow, but simple and newish and works.

Screenshot_20201222-111152_Trade Me.jpg

Screenshot_20201222-111143_Trade Me.jpg

Screenshot_20201222-111200_Trade Me.jpg

• Like 9

I couldn't leave it completely untouched though! First issue was hard to start (kick start only, so got a worn out leg pretty quickly!) and running like a sack of the proverbial. Diagnosed and replaced the 100% dead battery, surprised it ran at all actually!

Then just got riding to remember how to! So good, something to induce a smile :grin:

I then saw the Molesworth Moped Melee and thought why the hell not?! This meant getting the bike ready to tackle a bit of gravel/offroad, and also a full service to limit chances of breakdown in the middle of nowhere.

Slammed some cheap new LED indicators on, borrowed a luggage solution + some wider and higher CT bars from @BLIZZO (thanks bro) to replace the flat bars on it. Biggest change was ditching the Battleax road tyres for some 80/20 Shinko 705's. These are quite a bit heavier so gave the bike a lot more steering weight and made it feel a lot less nimble, but the trade off being actually having some grip offroad. They're still ok on the road too.

20210106_143657_copy_806x453.jpg

20210106_143641_copy_453x806.jpg

20210116_130444_copy_806x453.jpg

20210223_193343_copy_453x806.jpg

20210223_193838_copy_453x806.jpg

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, rumrum said:

hnngghhh one of my top 5 bikes tbh! https://bikebrewers.com/honda-cb400-cafe-racer/

That’s an original twin. I would keen for one of those, but old bike = work, and modified old bike = even more work.

At the moment my SS is doing the job of actually working so I can just ride it.

Some waffle about it (from a UK perspective, basically moaning about the price when new) https://adventure-motorcycling.com/2015/05/19/honda-cb400-ss-quick-look/