Stereo steering control question

ThePog

Yo, quick question.

I have a jvc head unit kw-m150bt. It has 4 wires for the steering wheel control stuff. In the manual these are grouped as two programmable signal wires and a ground, then another wire labelled as 'steering remote control wire'

856445973_IMG_20210403_173135_22.thumb.jpg.1e51e5659a46f1d5e9ab1aab6f633e86.jpg

As the volume controls are on the screen and not that easy to use, I want to set up two momentary switches on the dash and program them as up and down volume.

I should be able to get the up and down using the simple circuit on this page;

https://www.hackster.io/SetNFix/diy-car-steering-wheel-controller-with-volume-control-1b201b

So the question is what do I do with that control wire? Is it just connected to the acc circuit or do I just ignore it?

I think you would use the one in the left or the three on the right , but not all. Factory fitted steering wheel controls (in Toyota at least) Have one output. Each button has a different resistor, so the stereo sees a different voltage for each button and knows what to do.

3 minutes ago, AllTorque said:

I think you would use the one in the left or the three on the right , but not all. Factory fitted steering wheel controls (in Toyota at least) Have one output. Each button has a different resistor, so the stereo sees a different voltage for each button and knows what to do.

Alright, that make sense now. The group of 3 are customisable in the head unit, so I probably just need one resistance between them....

43 minutes ago, AllTorque said:

They may not even need a resistor.

Yea, turns out if I ground out one or the other I can program volume up and down, I guess I can get technical with play pause later if I get excited.

Cheers for the help....

• Like 1