Hiace Diff code info

Ja1lb8

Can anybody help me with what diff is in a old Hiace van Ive been looking at?

Just picked up a diff out of an old Hilux  G142 code on the tag so G series 4.875 ratio 2 spider non lsd, easy.

Looking at this Hiace and on the Tag under Trans/axle  it says  "UNIT.521."    and 0-12  further across from it.

1980 model with an 18r in it

Any help would be great cheers

I could be wrong  but  thought they all come with G codes.    nz assembled vehicles often come with nothing written on the plate under trans/axle,  or some kinda gibberish.   

If you have the chassis code, plugging it into toyodiy  or the likes may give you some more info

• Like 1

A stock car mate told me you can tell ratio on them by the color of the pinion nut? He said a while ago I needed the pink 1 I think it was and sure enough, it was. 4:11 from memory but it was a while ago. Anyone else know?

You can usually use the turn the and count method, the driveshaft will turn 4.1 or 4.7 turns for every single turn of you rear wheel. 

I have a couple in the shed so so went and had a look and both LSD 4.1=Blue 3.7=Orange could this be just the pinion tooth number as I assume like others they mix and match pinion with different crown wheels to achieve various ratios, I am sure someone will know more and help not just you but me as well.

Lux-Blue.JPG.0fc0ac656d6740148c64f19791a76814.JPGLux-Orange.JPG.b94fb81cd1e5fd87c955f864a9ca1924.JPG

On 04/04/2021 at 08:21, holdenman said:

I assume like others they mix and match pinion with different crown wheels to achieve various ratios, I am sure someone will know more and help not just you but me as well.

no a pinion gear and crown gear/ring gear in a hypoid/spiral bevel gearset are a matched set. you can have a pinion gear with the same number of teeth as another for a different ratio and they wont match as the geometry is different (the angle on the spiral will be different). then ontop of that they are matched to fit each other closely to minimise shims/adjustments required as well was being the correct geometry.

tl;dr

e.g. a 9 tooth pinion from a  37/9 (4.11) set wont properly fit with a 41/9 (4.56) ring gear

and you shouldn't mix and match pinions and ring gears from separate diffs. it might work if you are in deepest africa and have no other choice - but its not correct, and you will probably have a bad time trying to setup the gears correctly to last and take high loads without failing.