1929 Peugeot P105

2052NV

29 minutes ago, tortron said:

oh wow are those interchangable front and rear wheels so you can change the sprockets from mountain to highway quick? i have seen these being introduced on single speed mountainbikes recently

It is not actually, But my 84 Simson Schwalbe has this feature though, Good old communist efficient engineering.

The wheels are mounted on a clever system where you only need one spanner and you can remove either wheel in minutes, the rear wheel comes with out disturbing chain tension too.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Been slowly doing a couple things to this. This year i really want to ramp up the work being done as ill hopefully be leaving Germany at the end of the year.

theory is to go through everything step for step and check if I, grease it, clean it, fix it, improve it, totally customize it, buy a new one...... jokes. This thing was obviously thrown together so it would look like a working bike, to sell at the best price..... but really isnt, gotta love the french.

I was having that classic starting at the bottom of a mountain feeling where every corner is another un-avoidable Pandora's box of un-avoidable side projects. woohoo!!  Isn't this exactly why we do these kinds of things?? :unsure:

But i figured why not just start with some fun things first.

First strip the carb and try to understand French design logic (got some experience with this through my 205). Im really making the most of my time being close to the source here in Germany. Been hitting up heaps of swap meets for old motorbike shit here and in france (its only a couple hours to the french boarder). So been picking up a few bits which will pop up throughout the posts

Like new sealing rings for the carb thanks to an epic German company that's painstakingly re-creating an insane amount of Carb "service" parts that are loooong out of production.

IMG-20211111-164815.jpg

IMG-20220202-190612.jpg

It a solid brass casting, so lush

IMG-20220819-185303.jpg
IMG-20220819-183308.jpg

Are these photos too big?? Maybe i smallerize them before i upload the next batch. Sorry if so.

Next was a cool little tail light i scored at a swap meet, got it actually cheap and saw the potential with brass hinting through the old paint.

IMG-20210520-185258.jpg

IMG-20211208-190457.jpg

tidy'd up the bulb holder too made some new insulating gaskets for the positive from gasket paper. Will give it a soak in oil and that should keep the paper pretty resistant to the wet i hope.

IMG-20230117-203708.jpg

IMG-20230117-204720.jpg

came out good with elbow grease (thats a lie i used a lathe with little physical effort). Also super stoked to pick up the "F" badge which is also made from brass. I am really falling in love with the materials they used back then.... quality!!

next job on the fun list was the headlight mount. I really love the design of pre war bikes hence why i have one but one thing i just cannot get behind is the super high rise headlight mounts that are very common for the time. Lights were accessories that were an "option" at the time. So most didnt come with lights at all, and these imo were the coolest looking bikes. 

For now i decided just to slam it and see how it looked, most things look better slammed or??  I also found a copper headlight ring at a market which after some lathe work fitted my headlamp pretty ok. I was hoping to keep up the theme of the period Brass/Bronze highlighted components on the bike, not sure if this really fits? But worst case ill just nickle plate it in the future if it doesn't vibe with the finished look later on.

IMG-20211111-164521.jpg

The bloody thing is just over 200mm in diameter an the 6V yellow bulbs are the size of golf balls, i love it.

IMG-20220826-181458.jpg

IMG-20230117-195941.jpg

Keeping this customizing as original as possible?? :roll:

IMG-20230117-195539.jpg

IMG-20230117-205318.jpg

IMG-20230117-205700.jpg

Next stop will be checking the brakes and going on an epic adventure filled with side projects! Yayyyy                  

• Like 4

I remember a kids book "Mick and the P105"  The said Mick took up motocross on one.....Either a lover of cruel and unusual punishment or way fitter than I was at the same age.  Great find though and I hope you can get it back to NZ.

18 hours ago, GregT said:

I remember a kids book "Mick and the P105"  The said Mick took up motocross on one.....Either a lover of cruel and unusual punishment or way fitter than I was at the same age.  Great find though and I hope you can get it back to NZ.

I found this photo on the internet a while back when "researching". Im guessing he just used the motor? Maybe because the motor, clutch and gearbox are in one sealed housing? which for that time was still pretty uncommon. Nice memory man.

1-Mickla-P105-002.jpg

Copy I saw was in English. Pure fiction, kid finds old bike abandoned, gets it running on local fields, goes racing. Quel surprise, he wins.  To all intents I remember there being no technical details - which disappointed me, even at that age.

• Like 1

the road to checking the brake liners continues....

with side project number 3. The wheel spacers were totally functional buuuuut ugly af. I decided to give it a little effort and its really amazing what a couple nice radius's can do to imrove the form of a component. I also added in a sort of dust shield for the wheel bearing, was a bit over cautious with clearance tolerances which meant it ended up a bit bigger in diameter than would be optimal for my ocd.

Sort of unfortunately, this was the only stock we had lying around that was a big enough for the job. It happened to be 4140 cromo which is total overkill, but i actually really like turning hard steels and smashing out fat blue C chips. really satisfying.

IMG-20230213-211137.jpg

IMG-20230315-202037.jpg

mine left vs old totally functional one

IMG-20230322-181459.jpg

IMG-20230315-222226.jpg

I then did the same hot Bluing process to the spacers and checked them on. they came out really lush, another thing that no one will notice ticked off the list.

IMG-20230322-193524.jpg

Ok so now i actually am so far as having the wheels off. I wasn't happy with the front brake drum situation of simply painting over rust with horrible high gloss 2k paint is just not ok. So this also got some lathe treatment inside and out. The Actual drum braking surface was also semi rusted. Side project 4??

IMG-20230201-173924.jpg

IMG-20230201-171812.jpg

IMG-20230201-171540.jpg

Here you can see how the wheels are attached. Front and rear wheels are the same. They both have a 6 pin "flange" And when you take the wheel off the brake drum and in the case of the rear wheel the brake drum and the chain actually stay on the fork/frame, which makes changing wheels super easy no messing about with setting chain tension etc. And you can see one of the "stub axles" I made installed. The toothed wheel you see here is actually the drive cog for the speedo. I have a speedo to put on i just need to find or make a small speedo cable drive which uses another smaller cog (driven by the big one you can see here) to turn the speedo cable. 

I'm just smashing all parts that I've worked on with rattle can matte black for now so they don't rust and one day ill do the paint properly.

IMG-20230213-203349.jpg

Holy shiiiit i think i can actually look at the brake shoes now!!

and yuuup there buggered, next project begin!

I've never replaced riveted shoe linings before (stop laughing all you old mechanics), so i was super excited to give it a hoon. 

The brake lining material is actually super cheap and easy to get as many industry machines still use this material. So i brought a meter of the stuff and the proper half hollow copper rivets and went to town with only theory and questionable logical thought processes.

IMG-20230201-171529.jpg

The rear shoes have seen better days. This would be really good side project material to make new ones. But machining new ones of these would just take too much time, totally doable but a project for future rob. Now to the new pads!

IMG-20230201-171532.jpg

First remove old braking material, i forgot to make them wet so hoping there wasn't tooo much asbestos and that i don't get cancer too soon.

IMG-20230304-162509.jpg

Cut new band to length mark out holes drill and counter sink holes to roughly about the same depth using a hand drill and the good old eyecrometer 

IMG-20230304-165623.jpg

IMG-20230304-173212.jpg

Whack in the new rivets and bobs your uncle. I actually installed these far "too tight" the first time which made the braking material surface wavy. Classic un-experienced hand worker move. Learning by doing, Thankfully i had 100 rivets to learn with.

IMG-20230304-183300.jpg

Next step is to machine them down to the correct diameter and get them round so as to obtain a nice contact patch. This will hopefully aid me in arriving at my crash destination slightly later than if i had not machined the shoe material.

IMG-20230315-185301.jpg

Almost there

IMG-20230315-185641.jpg

now we are talking, note my slight slip up with the grinder while cutting to length. I also blew out the wall a little while i was still smashing the rivets way to tight. shell be rite tho

IMG-20230315-185307.jpg

Hell yea! well that's the brakes done and wheels mounted time to have a little fun.

I got this lush fuel tap at a market in France. It has a really cool action, much more tactical and satisfying to use than the one that was on the bike. Of course the thread was heaps bigger so i had to make a new threaded bush and solder it onto the tank. 

I found out why the action of the tap was so satisfying, it actually uses a cork cylinder as the seal which is super french and lush as all i need to do is carry around a bottle of red wine and if the fuel tap starts leaking use the cork to make a new seal! French solutions for the win.

IMG-20230322-194149.jpg

IMG-20230322-204007.jpg

soldered on 

IMG-20230322-205341.jpg

IMG-20230322-205510.jpg

Then while i had the gas torch out i decided that the rubber knee pads on the fuel tank are really ugly so i took these off. They are conveniently soldered on so if i decide i want it original again then i can just stick them back on.

IMG-20230322-210641.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1