Holdenmans moped or 2

holdenman

Bought a 49cc Moped and spare with big bore kit

Couldn't resist as it is live rego and 17" wheels and runs a 4-speed step-thru. surprising has some grunt but I bet my Grabdaughter oops i meant granddaughter will want it as she prefers one of these than my R33 Skyline..... go figure. I might get to keep the skidder a bit longer.

Oh and as I bought these off the importer it came with a few NOS parts so I can keep them running for a few more years or maybe make a Molesworth survival kit from them!

1867026856_3(2).JPG.e671a85c6b87633d659b03f3c3fe42b7.JPGpartz-1.JPG.e771a56ea702c62c4f4e97d9f5e5cb2e.JPG

• Like 3

This was funny, I was like... WTF is with this gearbox not realising that if i go down from Neutral is 1st (Yep normal for most), but then I go up and it jumped a couple a gears. So after I worked it out ya just go Down -1 down-2 down-3 down-4 and if i go down again it jumps back to 1st (thank #%# I was only doing about 30km/h) and if i go up from 1st it jumps into 4th.

So is this normal? It must be missing a stopper or something as I would imagine doing 100km/h in 4th then selecting 1st will be a disaster.

The second bike is now running after a carb clean and blocked main, but I need to pull the bowl off again today and fix the idle/pilot jet as I couldn't unblock it, i will check if the spare 50cc carb has the same jet as the big bore carb.

22 minutes ago, holdenman said:

This was funny, I was like... WTF is with this gearbox not realising that if i go down from Neutral is 1st (Yep normal for most), but then I go up and it jumped a couple a gears. So after I worked it out ya just go Down -1 down-2 down-3 down-4 and if i go down again it jumps back to 1st (thank #%# I was only doing about 30km/h) and if i go up from 1st it jumps into 4th.

So is this normal? It must be missing a stopper or something as I would imagine doing 100km/h in 4th then selecting 1st will be a disaster.

The second bike is now running after a carb clean and blocked main, but I need to pull the bowl off again today and fix the idle/pilot jet as I couldn't unblock it, i will check if the spare 50cc carb has the same jet as the big bore carb.

Nope, sounds like a rotary gearbox, I had one in my first Chinese engined bike. You have to keep counting pretty well. Once you get used to it it's kinda sweet, the way I thought of it was that you could ride it in jandals... accelerate up to speed, then come to a stop and repeat.

It has gear lights so not too bad but yeah like you say, prob get used to it and it means you dont have to got down the gears to first as its just 1 click away.

I put the jet from the 50cc carb and the spare bike and now it idles nice but is sluggish, might soak the carb overnight

I have a hole in the jet now using a really thin needle, i will go and see if i can get thinnest wire file through it now and test it as it would be sweet to have 2 bikes working. I also tried to do a fastest run and might have got to 80km/h but it ran out of room LOL

1295586359_20210323_120006(2).jpg.cc89af6dc7ad5c89dfa0fed1871a0787.jpg

Running pretty sweet now, got it over 75 but as the gearing is very tall I have ordered 2 lower front sprockets and between the choice of 2 rear and 3 front I am hopeful I can work out a bit more pickup and higher speed. From what I gather these came with up to a 125cc so the gearbox and speedo are made for that.

The spare has a 14T and 36T and the main bike has a 14T and 40T  so I have a 12T and a 13T on the way and I am thinking that I should be able to sort a decent geared bike

11.jpg