Discussion thread for Hemi's 1978 Chevy C10

Hemi

6 minutes ago, Liam-B said:

Wow, 4 years abandoned. I wondered what happened to this truck! For some reason I thought it was already over in WA with you.

Yeah man , felt bad when i first saw her. 
Buuuut most of the rust lines legit just wipe off. along with the fucked paint haha.
The bonnet has got proper cancer in the two corners, but that was there when it got parked up, and as it does, just spread. 
There is also a patch on the front l/h of the cab that is still not holey, but needs some attention asap. 
and the footwell, but again. still solid as. 
I was saying to Diddy, im amazed there isnt more rust. like its all surface. 
dunno what these made these from, but its pretty decent

That's good then, I remember the rust in the bonnet wasn't too bad then but definitely gotten worse. 4 years outside will do that though aye!

I did a road worthy on it way back then (might have looked past a few things wrong to be honest, Camel just wanted club reg plates haha) but was surprised to find the AC still had R12 gas in it. Wouldn't take much to get that going again I reckon.

Its a good truck overall, just looks a bit crusty and won't take much to tidy up. TH700 will be the best mod you can do, I'm putting one in the 68 impala (was in my 64 chevelle and it got great economy for a warm 350)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Liam-B said:

That's good then, I remember the rust in the bonnet wasn't too bad then but definitely gotten worse. 4 years outside will do that though aye!

I did a road worthy on it way back then (might have looked past a few things wrong to be honest, Camel just wanted club reg plates haha) but was surprised to find the AC still had R12 gas in it. Wouldn't take much to get that going again I reckon.

Its a good truck overall, just looks a bit crusty and won't take much to tidy up. TH700 will be the best mod you can do, I'm putting one in the 68 impala (was in my 64 chevelle and it got great economy for a warm 350)

Yeah man , its proper cancer now. buuut again. the rest is pretty solid. My fault, had the resources and did nothing to the poor thing.

When i picked it up of @Camel about Port Macquarie i must have hit the vent to engage the a/c, didnt notice until cruising and the engine tone would change. I shat myself.
then realised what was the go. that is amazing. 
Im amazed at this truck, aside from the mirrors and dumping it . its o.g . all the stickers , all the o.g jacks etc. i love it. 

Yeah it 100% need some love. Dont really want a show truck but i reckon a bit of love to treat the tumours and seal things and it will be off the chain. 

100% want the overdrive , but watching videos to pull these apart and they are so simple so long as you know the couple important parts. i love it. just works. 

The 350 is lush and have no plans to replace it tbh , given the o.g of it and such i feel it would be rude to ruin it. 
Diddy did mention a cummins transplant , which i could 100% get on board with. but that soo far down the track , like the airbag route type thing. 

I know nothing about either of these cars mr. you should share. if that ute of your is anything to go by. they will be off the chain.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 25/03/2021 at 00:49, Hemi said:

Yeah man , its proper cancer now. buuut again. the rest is pretty solid. My fault, had the resources and did nothing to the poor thing.

When i picked it up of @Camel about Port Macquarie i must have hit the vent to engage the a/c, didnt notice until cruising and the engine tone would change. I shat myself.
then realised what was the go. that is amazing. 
Im amazed at this truck, aside from the mirrors and dumping it . its o.g . all the stickers , all the o.g jacks etc. i love it. 

Yeah it 100% need some love. Dont really want a show truck but i reckon a bit of love to treat the tumours and seal things and it will be off the chain. 

100% want the overdrive , but watching videos to pull these apart and they are so simple so long as you know the couple important parts. i love it. just works. 

The 350 is lush and have no plans to replace it tbh , given the o.g of it and such i feel it would be rude to ruin it. 
Diddy did mention a cummins transplant , which i could 100% get on board with. but that soo far down the track , like the airbag route type thing. 

I know nothing about either of these cars mr. you should share. if that ute of your is anything to go by. they will be off the chain.

I just finally got my 66 C20 on the road after years of building it up. 

I cannot stress enough how painful this 700r4 box has been. Same one behind the V8's in VN-VP era commodores. It was incredibly expensive to rebuild and still isn't set up correctly. Worst thing is if you don't set it up properly it can and will cook it. I have the harmonic balancer off and am waiting for a new one to come in before I'll try to set the shift points one last time. It either won't find overdrive at all or will change 1,2,3 in about 20 meters. Overdrive sometimes works which means it is probably the TV cable. 

If that doesn't work I will rip it out (I've already had it passed for LVV so that will be fun) and put in a TH400 and change the entire diff for a taller ratio. Which will be fun as it is an 8 stud pcd. 

Don't do the th700. It is shit. 

Hmm I have been in a couple 700r4's and they seem sweet as? just a 350 with a overdrive and cable control, buy the cable bracket kit for your carb set it up and off you go?

The move is probably a T400 and gear vendors overdrive box if you have the cash.

• Like 2

I set mine up as per instructions with a kit from the states and it only plays nicely some of the time. If I pull it out again though it will be to take to the scrappy. But I'm sure when I finally find that sweet spot and it works from then on I'll be happy. Just a bit of a pain as I'd love to be driving it but have no idea what it is going to do. And with the C20 truck diff it won't go over 45mph without revving it's nut off in third. 

A diff swap is far easier for me...until you want to tow :lol:

• 1 year later...