Jesse's 1988 Toyota Liteace KM36

Jeffs_Emporium

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fitment is exceptional 20220810_192256.thumb.jpg.ad12e05a3b39e6fb06b93126544de11a.jpg

Now I can check the water in 3 easy steps instead of 20 minutes each way.

I still can not get the heater to blow hot no matter what I do, the tap doesn't feel seized and I've tried bleeding air with a bucket sized funnel sealed on filler neck and the heater hoses at back of engine feel very hot. 

• Like 8

• 4 months later...

Now approaching 5000kms since being 4AG powered! 

I swapped out the 3.9 diff for the original 4.6 in anticipation for the OS drags and tool all tools and ply drawers for full race mode. 

IMG_20221212_133923_340.thumb.jpg.88f52f9d89e47fe1d696cf78cbc5fe0b.jpg

My friend and i punched through 8 runs in the van and i did 8 runs in GX. 

Best time for van was 18.106 which my mate was able to grab. 

I actually feel like the 3.9 would have been better. We both felt there was an awkward place at 6-6.5k rpm in 4th just before the finish line where it was to close to shift into 5th where some taller gearing would have helped. 

However van ran flawlessly on the day and drove the 45 minutes each way before/afterm. 

• Like 6

• 4 months later...

The mighty TOOLBX has now been sold to a good friend! It's another month before he takes possession to drive it from Christchurch to the far north. There are all these little jobs I never got around to that I'm now getting through to hand it over in a completed state! 

Earlier in the year I had some Bspeed cam covers made in a classic fin style in a red to coordinate with the BRX wheels IMG_20230202_195530_796.thumb.jpg.aaff82763ebb49600ec65b7eefd70019.jpg

Great opportunity to wear a locally designed and manufactured product!

• Like 8

The floor shifter model I pinched the seat base and bucket seats from had this nice strap to hold the seat base/bonnet up from the factory but it was broken in half. I remembered a local wrecker had a couple of townace utes so went and grabbed a complete strap and fixing. My B pillar didn't have the mounting point so I fitted a rivnut to get it connected.

20230523_182036.thumb.jpg.69cc0090995dfd8560fb15349b433384.jpg

Better than the stick I've been using for almost 3 years 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

When I put this together I spent a large sum recoring the heater core, for some reason I could never get it to blow hot.I tried testing the tap to make sure it wasn't blocked and I tried checking the hoses were flowing nicely, I tried changing the orientation to make sure I wasn't running it backwards also. I remembered that I hadn't put foam packing around the core so today I pulled the entire dash out to resolve that 20230523_134928.thumb.jpg.c748450308b39968e8cb7621ab92b9bf.jpg

Put the heater box back in and plumbed it back up and bled air out. Still not blowing hot. It blows warm when you first turn it on then cools off. So I tried changing direction on hoses, blows completely cold. Tried dicking around with the flaps and taps manually to check it was doing as its supposed to and the pipes on the core are definitely hot but some reason it won't blow hot 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• 5 weeks later...

Heater issue ended up being a faulty tap. It would flow untill it hit a certain pressure then close off completely so I just bypassed it. The heater control unit actually also closes a flap when selecting cold temp which should help it not always blow hot. 

Other jobs to finish up 20230607_134708.thumb.jpg.5efb14b1a29bc2b705914044c1ee634b.jpg

local plastic company Cebelio cut up a scrap piece of black ABS to fill the floor shifter void, it snaps into place where the leather shifter boot would have been 

• Like 3

Finally the sump! 20230611_144042.thumb.jpg.1ed7bdd609ae885db2650d8ae63c8cf8.jpg

Its no secret this van has been through a few and seemed to be the butt of a few jokes for it. A friend of a friend Alex (thanks if you are on here) made this custom item back in January along with a shortened pickup to match . I recently gave it a coat of paint and transferred the oil from the existing full level sump to check height from block. It was the same if not slightly lower (more capacity) 

• Like 2