Hx 307 gearbox? In kingswood ute

gto1973

9 hours ago, gto1973 said:

Can anyone tell me what manual boxes I can put on a chevy 307 in a kingswood ute prefer 5 or 6 gears and least about of modification 

Thanks Jesse 

H* factory manuals are small AF gearboxes so can't put a tonne of power through them, if you can handle not 5 or 6 spd, then an Aussie 4 spd would be the go. SBC and Holden bellhousings are very similar. 2 bolts different IIRC.

If you need 5 or 6 speed then get the best you can afford, they are all going to need some modification and all pretty much equal.

when you say the best you can afford what boxes are we talking about?

there's so many are r154 and w56 up there seen a few of those around i think they are both toyota

what about gearstick placement foward and back?

Thanks 

12 hours ago, Valiant said:

No they aren't there are different input shaft lengths etc. 

They were fitted to both Holden and Chevrolet V8s though so you could find one with a factory bellhousing etc.

Do you know what a fair price would be for one with the bell housing clutch kit correct folk and flywheel? Sorry guys I dont know much about this stuff

3 hours ago, gto1973 said:

Do you know what a fair price would be for one with the bell housing clutch kit correct folk and flywheel? Sorry guys I dont know much about this stuff

$2500-3500 last time I looked into a buying a complete T5.

I did a conversion on my Commy with a W56, 2nd hand Dellow bellhousing and new clutch, not including the gearbox rebuild, custom cross member and driveshaft mods, I was in the deep end of $2000 just for the core parts.

• Thanks 1

The T5 to get is the World Class out of a late 80's Camaro, people are asking $1500 to $2000 for them. They are rated for 300 ft/lb of torque. The gear leaver is at the end of the tail housing and will not clear a bench seat if you are short, in the right spot if you have bucket seats. This gearbox will bot up to any chev(GM) factory bell housing. You will need a clutch with a 26 spline clutch plate. 

I have one in my 68 firebird, generally shifts well, except for the 4-3 change. The syncros on 3rd aren't wonderful and the down shift is a double clutch, sorts the men from the girls. I also put a mustang hurst shifter on it, much better than factory. 

If you use any other T5 version, there are heaps (V6 commodore, falcon, mustang, various pommy cars) you will need custom bell housings, modified input shafts, not worth the hassle. If you are going to do this, a W50 is a much better box.

Tremec TKO is a better option but the are $4k if you bring one in yourself. Will fit on GM bell housing, has 3 shifter locations, option for mechanical speedo output.

IMHO a 6 speed is over kill unless you can get one cheap or you like spending lots of money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1