Holdenman's found a cheap GN250

holdenman

I finally found myself an affordable GN250 for a project, it's actually in pretty good nick and someone obviously gave up on it.

So jumpered the battery which is holding voltage now and stabbed the started thinking how many clunks and clangs is it going to make but got a very pleasant surprise as it turned over freely but didn't fire.

Ok I thought can only be spark or fuel so pulled the plug out which was brand new and it had nice blue spark so dumped some fuel down the hole and had another go after putting plug back in and vroom started almost immediately.

Great found the issue so pulled the carb off and the main was completed blocked and the float was seized. The idle was ok so used some carb cleaner and small jet files and cleaned it out put it back together and it runs ok with a bit of throttle but rough idle and will stall. then while I had the seat off noticed some smoke coming from a connection.

The nolex connector was basically welded together so after destroying it to find the wires a bit messy but an easy enough thing to fix.

All in all maybe at worse a replacement carb but I will soak it in CLR for a while like I have done in the past and blow them out with air, and a replacement nolex connector.

It has a few scapes and the tank has a couple of dings, one side cover was sellotaped on and i need a new rear indicater and it should be ready for taking through to get reregistered.

5(2).thumb.jpg.e10fd2475269c23dba5d4302bd6d8554.jpg1213884226_2(2).thumb.jpg.2d248ca91402d7b7100e9bb5b49b5591.jpg794707403_3(2).thumb.jpg.2fea412ae6e1dc745274a2f3902cc296.jpg307235504_4(2).thumb.jpg.b35a841a50f5311a9dabbd836e8ae3a7.jpg6-2.jpg.75f9301b4fa1dbcffd256b49a0d91325.jpg7-2.jpg.59a3ad5eadb87489ed84ede224534548.jpg 

• Like 9

Everything SORTED - Ready for vtnz, thanks for the help offer

I soaked the carb for several hours then washed it out with water and have just got it back on and it starts easier and now idles sweet.

I took it for a 100 yard test and rides and runs perfect

Front brake is powerful enough and no unusual noises coming from the engine or drivetrain, all 4 indicators now work after tightening one, soldering the wire and replacing the bulb. Hi/Low beam working good.

I have treated the bare metal with rust treatment where the littles dents in the tank had flaked some paint.

• Like 3

Re-ring only if required, I was a motorcycle courier in Sydney in the 80's (no restriction where I went), and my clutch wore out at 55,000kms on my Honda 250RS single so parked outside the bike wrecker one morning removed the complete engine and swapped for a low k one and it took me a week to get it revving past the redline in top like the old one, factory max speed was 146km/h but my max was 166km/h.

Here i am radio on back, speaker and mic on handlebars, map book of sydney on tank and my locking paniers 

606967908_HondaRS250.jpg.6c7ca4511b6db419a9bd33f644972c6a.jpg

It has returned home :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Had a near disaster as I am about to re rego it!

I Booked a brake test for yesterday afternoon, went out and tried to start it, finally checked the fuel and empty. I put a few litres in it and thought, shitty carb must have leaked it out and I will need to fix that when I come back. It finally fired but was running a bit rough and not idling very well, I removed the carb checked it and seemed ok so blew it out with the air and put it back.

I took it for a run and it wasn't happy at all and when I got back it was leaking oil around the area of the front sprocket. Took the cover off, cleaned it up but couldn't find anything wrong. I thought I better check the air filter in case it was that.

Once I removed the filter I found it was in a bath of oil and petrol mix and realised where all the fuel had gone, checked the oil window and side of the engine and it was well full so drained the oil and about 3.5 litres came out of fuel and oil mix. I drained the filter box and put fresh oil and it ran fine to the shop. I was talking to them and they just said, typical GN indestructible but also said this can happen as the needle will need replacing. I am amazed as instead of hydraulic damage it just pumped enough into the air box via the breather to run.

What is the use of the overflow in the bowl if it doesn't work! 

1 hour ago, tortron said:

Probably want to change the petcock while you are at it, even with the overflow you still gotta turn them off

what year is the bike?

I actually pulled it apart and checked it when i got the bike, i never turned it off and sat for 5 or 6 weeks. I have never had to turn off fuel before on my old bikes but then I was riding them all the time. It's a 2004 model first rego'd in 2005

• 2 months later...

So I took it out for about an hour or so to try and loosen up the engine as it was struggling to pull past 100 and barely got to 105 last time where it also created a fuel/carb issue and I thought I was going to have to call out for help but after running it on choke for a couple of ks it came ok, guess it was a small blockage.

This time I had no issues and gave it a few blasts down the highway and around town. I then brought it home and made a small modification then took it down the highway and it pulled nicely to just over 100km/h in 4th then 5th tapped out at 120km/h, it may have been a fluke  but from what I can gather the norm seems about 110 but I doubt I will try again as I would feel like a mug getting a speeding ticket on a GN250 as most people wouldn't believe me anyway.

14 hours ago, tortron said:

sounds about right, my old one would do an indicated 115-120 on the auck-ham trip, even passed one or two cars

Thanks for that, I have only done probably 30kms on it so far but I am treating it a bit like my old Honda back in the 80's to try and loosen it a bit, probably take a few 1000ks tho.

Maybe a few trips to Westport fishing will do it but that can wait until after winter. I am lucky as their is a room and bed to stay whenever I like.

Question though, as I feel my carb isn't quite right yet, how long did you need the choke from cold, also when warm did yours run past the redline much in 4th? 

They do take a bit to warm up, same as the 125 and DR, i think its just a single suzuki thing, certainly they wont warm up on idle before riding off.

Mine being an 82 never had a tach, so i just gave it as many revs as it would produce before not gaining any more speed. But i dont think it ever got to valve bouncing territory in 4th or 5th. if its doing that the clutch may be slipping.  I rememeber taking the clutch steels out and lapping them with some sandpaper on glass and then adding a washer under the clutch pack springs on one of my engines that had been sitting a while, to get good grab out of it.