Mr.mk1's Mopar or No Car '70 Dodge Coronet

RUNAMUCK

Oh you got some work ahead ! know your pain all too well though pretty much replaced all those rusty panels on the impala but mine didnt look that bad to start off,

Hopefully dont get too many nasty suprises after blasting cause i sure did ha!

• Haha 1

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, JustHarry said:

I imagine you will be able to buy almost every part you need to repair for this? 

That will make the job 11ty billion times quicker and easier. Especially with large and involved repairs

Talking from experience in the matter 

Yeah man, can’t really get bolt-on panels but everything else seems to be available if you can fund it!
Taste the freedom

11 hours ago, dabuzz said:

those 1/4s!!!! am I looking at the same car, earlier pics showed the 1/4s looking pretty much complete in matty B, now they are half gone?

hats off to you either way! 

It came from the states with new quarters screwed onto/over the existing ones. Great idea instead of trying to jam them inside then have them chaff through your interior etc/ slide into the glass but it sure did a great job of masking the despair aye

8A4E918F-6C25-4DE9-BA05-58EE4100E69F.jpeg

• Like 7

9 hours ago, MRWEST said:

Oh you got some work ahead ! know your pain all too well though pretty much replaced all those rusty panels on the impala but mine didnt look that bad to start off,

Hopefully dont get too many nasty suprises after blasting cause i sure did ha!

I always had the mindset that yank cars were thick as shit and and jappers were disposable but I guess when your competing against the other guys and trying to pump out a new design each year then preservation measures slip and then boom, your shit starts falling apart! Verts are always more susceptible once parked though aye.

But, I’ll bet it’s just another hurdle you had to jump looking back, cause that thing is gorgeous now and safe for well over your lifetime

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr.Mk1 said:

It came from the states with new quarters screwed onto/over the existing ones.

In some cases in the land of freedom, that's the repair, lol 

I have a customer with a first gen camaro that didnt quite look right, he had it blasted and it had double rear panels, the original rusty ones were still there  

• Like 5

Just now, cletus said:

I have a customer with a first gen camaro that didnt quite look right, he had it blasted and it had double rear panels, the original rusty ones were still there  

Yep absolutely! “She’s a 20 footer, and don’t slam the door!”

When sourcing parts I kept coming up with ‘repair caps’ that you just zing over your chassis rails.

impending doom!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, cletus said:

My car had parts of two quarters on it too haha and a shit load of bog to make it look ok.

13 hours ago, Mr.Mk1 said:

I always had the mindset that yank cars were thick as shit and and jappers were disposable but I guess when your competing against the other guys and trying to pump out a new design each year then preservation measures slip and then boom, your shit starts falling apart! Verts are always more susceptible once parked though aye.

But, I’ll bet it’s just another hurdle you had to jump looking back, cause that thing is gorgeous now and safe for well over your lifetime

Its definately worth it when done but can feel like you spend alot of time going backwards before you go forwards ha

• 1 month later...

Oooof! 

Damn they be some mighty fine repair panels there lad! You must have felt like a kid at xmas unboxing those?

I would 100% investigate the type of paint they're coated in. Oriental panels come in a paint that is only  just good enough to prevent them getting surface rust while in transit.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you considered acid dipping panels like the bonnet that is split apart?

Personally I found this a cost and time effective process, and can be 100% sure that you have found and killed all the hidden rust/pinholes etc.

• Like 1

On 20/06/2021 at 20:08, CUL8R said:

What sorta gauge panel steel does this have Josh, I presume its not too thin and nice to work with?

It’s about 1mm in sheet metal,1.5 bracing and 2+ In the rails. It’s way nicer to weld than Japanese stuff for sure! Bit harder to manipulate though. I’m practically out of thicker sheet stock so fucking around with the hood is good timing :-D

• Like 1

good work on the rust work so far!

i personally wouldn't of started with a car that bad so hats off to you.

i would make sure the car is well braced while doing the rust work as no full chassis.

also adding full chassis connectors is a good thing on these old mopars 

i also would get the car put on a chassis machine and measured up. as anything done in the states wouldn't have been done properly. 

as we all know trying to get good panel gaps on a twisted car isn't that easy 

good luck mate  

• Like 1

Mig welding a bonnet like that is a sure fire way to fuck it.

Also rust converters are a have.  The correct way to deal with the frame being rusty like yours is to get it sandblasted. Its inexpensive and does the job properly. 

11 hours ago, JustHarry said:

Mig welding a bonnet like that is a sure fire way to fuck it.

Also rust converters are a have.  The correct way to deal with the frame being rusty like yours is to get it sandblasted. Its inexpensive and does the job properly. 

I know what I’m doing ;-)

also, even paint is as effective as any converter. You need air and moisture for rust. Seal it out 

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...