SOHC,s Norton

SOHC

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got this motor today, it’s an industrial motor but has the mag out the back witch makes things way more easy, it was from a rotory hoe that had a stuffed gearbox and other problems so I didn’t feel so bad.

5C8A4A8E-E53F-4554-A263-2889E2150BD6.jpeg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Took both motors apart to find the one I want to use has some moisture damage to the shaft, (rollers run directly on the shaft) big end feels really good play wise but probably has the same problem.

other motor looks as if it never had an oil change 

A09E5F00-35FA-415B-AB9A-7CA7DDCCD703.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Split the crank on one of the motors and rod and crank pin are in good condition, but this crank has a different main shaft, it’s looking like I need to get a new mainshaft made, bathcolector sent me a better one I will see if it cleans up with a grind and O/S rollers, cam pinon gear is pretty bad to. 

F540D560-0D40-4E62-B307-84971D9912E0.jpeg

D4BC8D74-EFD9-4E46-90C6-3FD45D290FD1.jpeg

The timing side bearing on thees JAP engines is a crowded needle roller witch runs directly on the main shaft, they are a real heart breaker. 

I need to find a way to get the inner bearing shell out of the crank cace 

779DB0D9-6A42-4F7B-8133-AF55729ACE73.jpeg

B363371D-E77F-41A0-B225-8E2582E21419.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Laced up the front rim but haven’t tightened the nippels, I got a cople extra spokes and because they are aliexpress shit I did some testing on them to see how strong they are and they seem tougher than the old spokes, sparks fly off them when I hit them with an axe.

CC4A6DF1-18BB-4B73-B66A-15B976400AD8.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

• 3 months later...
21 minutes ago, GregT said:

to remove bearing races from castings, run a ring of weld around the inside. Doesn't matter if it's MIG or TIG. When it cools it shrinks the race and it should drop out.

Can you hard chrome and grind the best shaft ?

I got the races out of the caces very carefully as i want to re use them, cant chrome the shaft as the rollers run directly on it

11 hours ago, SOHC said:

I got the races out of the caces very carefully as i want to re use them, cant chrome the shaft as the rollers run directly on it

Who told you that ?  Guy in the UK has been plating early Honda shafts for years with success. Needs a reasonable depth of chrome though. Grind to a fresh surface and about >008in finished thickness.

Here in ChCh, Barry lynch was reconning KT100 cranks by hard chroming. Did literally hundreds. Tony Pole electroplating in ChCh if no-one local will play. Ask in the kart world. KT100's are still used.

Shaft is 19mm and i cant take any more off it, if the sleeve was 1mm thick it would roll it up and blow the motor up,

I have had gearbox shafts hard chromed and ground but they didnt have bearings running directly on the surface. The bond of the chrome is not stroung enough

All right, I'll try once more. The examples i gave - early Honda and KT100 - both run needle rollers direct on the shaft.It's not unusual.

In terms of a replacement setup for the rollers to sidestep your perceived problem, I'm sure a roller bearing with inner race could be sourced to replace what you have. If it means skimming the housing in the case out to suit, why not. Personally i'd look at needle rollers with inner races. Nothing wrong with using smaller OD rollers.

I've been doing this sort of work-around for years. There's always a way.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GregT said:

All right, I'll try once more. The examples i gave - early Honda and KT100 - both run needle rollers direct on the shaft.It's not unusual.

In terms of a replacement setup for the rollers to sidestep your perceived problem, I'm sure a roller bearing with inner race could be sourced to replace what you have. If it means skimming the housing in the case out to suit, why not. Personally i'd look at needle rollers with inner races. Nothing wrong with using smaller OD rollers.

I've been doing this sort of work-around for years. There's always a way.

I will look into it but everyone has sed dont do it, the big end is oiled thrugh this bearing, the oil is fed into the needed roller main then the bearing extends into the crank slinger, i cant put a sleeve on the shaft because of this, i cant find an INA bearing even close, a ball race bearing cannot be used because of the oiling system.

They did make O/S rollers but i cannot find anything and the shaft pitting is too deep

Just spoke to Trevor Hall and he reckons replace that whole bearing with a bronze bush, lots of bikes ran bushes for main bearings. If i got rid of the inner bearing completely and drilled a hole in the bronze or cut a slot for the big end oil feed would work

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SOHC said:

Just spoke to Trevor Hall and he reckons replace that whole bearing with a bronze bush, lots of bikes ran bushes for main bearings. If i got rid of the inner bearing completely and drilled a hole in the bronze or cut a slot for the big end oil feed would work

Agree. Nothing wrong with a bronze bush there.

• Like 2