SOHC,s Norton

SOHC

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up this plunger frame Arial wheel that has been modified to fit my Norton frame, this was a common thing to do back in the day for side car racing as the Arial wheel has a much stronger hub, and being a plunger the axel must be 4 times as thick as a normal swing arm axel. Also got some Triumph clutch parts as I have adapted a 4 spring Triumph clutch to my BSA.

CA4FBED8-2C74-4E1E-81A2-DE742D07B4B2.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This engine is also a contender for this project, it seems to be in very good condition and has never been apart. Problem is the mag is in the way of the frame, I am thinking of making up a plate with a trigger coil and running a CDI ignition or something 

B3856D0D-42C6-4289-8029-674BEF3F15C4.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well I think I got scammed on a cylinder head, payed a guy for a motorcycle head but no head yet. the one on this engine has the Finns going in the wrong direction for a motorcycle, but apart from that the JAP engine is an ok fit, I have over 50mm to make a new ignition system.

A shit load of work is needed now

F1A2C82F-CCA9-40E6-B982-53E69788A6BB.jpeg

C9AA7615-D53F-41A8-A94B-EE5B0F14C351.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered another ignition, this one is a little big bigger and has a some charging coils. I really hope I can fit it between the frame and the engine, failing that I can cut the whole thing off the engine and extend it and the cover and weld it back on so the mag is in front of the frame.

32C914B9-3AD1-465E-9486-97FE908D17F8.png

396AE9AC-BB5F-43B9-BCAC-BC17729EBC8D.png