V6 exhaust help

mikey

Hola guys. I'm keen to redo my exhaust to give more ground and tunnel clearance, plus make it a quieter. I know, uncool.

The engine is a VQ35DE - Nissan V6, in a 240z.

This is a pic of the exhaust when it was made. It's got some cheap XForce headers into two 2.5", into those resonators then goes to 3" and out an offset oval muffler of some sort. I can't find the deets on that; it was from Wolfe Mufflers.  

spacer.png

Those resonators knock against the tunnel and scrape along the ground. So I'm keen to ditch them, or replace with one I can tuck higher in the tunnel, depending on what effect it'll have on sound. 

Currently it sounds pretty good and has a good bark, but is just way too loud for cruising about. Also wondering if half the volume issue is caused by having a 3" pipe, seems excessive. 

Hoping some of you legends can give some pointers? 

Hey man, long time no see.

I think your biggest issue is available space. 

I would cut out those resonators, use that space to collect back into a single earlier, try squeeze a proper muffler into the centre. Alternatively run a two in single out at around the same place.

Your biggest issue would then be the rear muffler.  If you're down to 2.5 you'll have more space, maybe send it to the opposite side it is now, put an additional muffler in then have the final muffler have a decent length of pipe afterwards. 

15 minutes ago, kyteler said:

Hey man, long time no see.

I think your biggest issue is available space. 

I would cut out those resonators, use that space to collect back into a single earlier, try squeeze a proper muffler into the centre. Alternatively run a two in single out at around the same place.

Your biggest issue would then be the rear muffler.  If you're down to 2.5 you'll have more space, maybe send it to the opposite side it is now, put an additional muffler in then have the final muffler have a decent length of pipe afterwards. 

Yeah man, has been yonks! I've not had a garage for a long time so not been able to get into any car stuff for aaaages.

Yep, space is definitely the issue. I like the sound of putting a proper muffler in the tunnel, I'll investigate what space I have there.

There's not much space to fit a muffler on the opposite side from current as the fuel tank takes that side. So I think I'll be limited to just the two. 

Will arrange as much pipe as possible after the final muffler. 

Sounds like 2.5" should be plenty for a  stock VQ35, I'm guessing the smaller diameter makes for a less boomy sound? 

Any suggestions for muffler suppliers in AK? 

33 minutes ago, M.H. said:

Not in Auckland but adrenalin r mufflers are great quality and can make something to suite as well

Yeah, just been going through their catalogue. They look pretty good. 

I'm just not sure if I should have a resonator in the tunnel or a muffler. I'm fine if the car is pretty quiet, so am leaning towards a proper muffler. But not if that'll mean it's "drone-y"? 

When I was doing exhaust noise certs, adrenalin r was the muffler of choice to actually reduce noise while still flowing well. A couple of ported rotaries managed to pass with twin primary pipes with 2 resonators in each, merge before the diff then a big single muffler out the back  

• Like 3

I'd be inclined to get a big twin in single out chambered and baffled with stainless packed muffler made to fit between the gearbox and diff with a big straight through at back.

I had this setup on on my supercharged v6 commodore and it was smooth as silk with no twang and didn't drone at all.

• Like 2

Good ideas guys. After flicking thru that Muff thread, I'm guessing the advice is stick to 3"? If so I could possibly keep my current muffler and just try a two-into-one in the tunnel. If no good upgrade the final muffler. 

Starting to sound like a plan

• Like 1