DIY Kiwibuild

nzstato

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Spent most of my sunday tearing more of this roughcast off.  The house is certainly going to be alot 'lighter' at this rate.  Got a bit of timber work ahead of me but so far very little rot.

v3.thumb.jpg.df6797c7c67ddaf2ec2f96e927d725c4.jpg

I'll probably reclad down this side and safe the original boards for repairs in other sections.

v5.thumb.jpg.0030c8520fcdd144743ea916e42f8b1a.jpg

Only some of the residue.

v4.thumb.jpg.b8f3d6a9c0c9ae8c143af70ffb2adf1d.jpg

This is the south side, the entire wall on the left will get taken out as that is where the new extension will come from.

The far wall will probably need reclad as am expecting some rot.

v6.thumb.jpg.20de28c7977d62dd250fdb4857e239d7.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The 80s were a funny time in housing design.... everyone wanted a 'modern' look but with crappy materials.

I'll get some pictures of the current interior to provide some perspective.

Current debate is on what we do with the hallway, was thinking to go 'vanilla villa' with floorboards and painted paneling but now methinks taking it all back to the timber.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nzstato said:

The 80s were a funny time in housing design.... everyone wanted a 'modern' look but with crappy materials

Exhibit B, 1981 reno of a then 20yo house, added new aluminium windows including the popouts on the front, aluminium porch, and downstairs bar. Aggressively shitty workmanship to pack out the walls behind the bar reno cladding, and absolutely no insulation installed.

Added another layer of lino to the original stuff that covers rimu floorboards

20210126_211412.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, nzstato said:

The 80s were a funny time in housing design.... everyone wanted a 'modern' look but with crappy materials.

I'll get some pictures of the current interior to provide some perspective.

Current debate is on what we do with the hallway, was thinking to go 'vanilla villa' with floorboards and painted paneling but now methinks taking it all back to the timber.

I’ve been there. Thin MDF nailed over beautifully crafted Canadian Oregon panelled doors painted high gloss brown. Pinex nailed over pressed plaster panel ceilings, fake particle board wood grain shit panelling etc. 

The decision to go back to timber is not to be taken lightly as it’s a ton of work, but extremely satisfying when finished.

• Like 1

Cheers all.  Like most villas, this one was designed to present well to the street.  So in the context of what we are detailing with, these are better shots (taken last summer)

Eden1.thumb.jpg.ac4842cdc96b1a5cefd1f7be1d04712d.jpg

Eden2.thumb.jpg.eb49732b892d89033fbbf935d431ce99.jpg

On the shed front I have a decent sized workshop which will fit nicely on the lower lawn.  I'll have to get a new vehicle entry from the other street but that wont be a bad thing.  Making it big enough so I can fit a 2 post hoist.

image.png.74a36be9ce03e816014c28c77fb80a44.png

image.png.4472b7c70aa869e78874d87605cf6ac1.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...