DIY Kiwibuild

nzstato

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And the debate continues.... are the grooves really to 'breathe', the increase in surface area would be marginal. 

Final touch ups this week (I see alot of post it notes everywhere) and have finally been able to lodge title.  Was suppose to be a month ago but hopefully that doesnt hold us up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, V8Pete said:

I noticed a few places near me have been using grooved deck stuff as fence palings. Is there some fence timber shortage or are these guys just all weirdos?

Shortage, I needed 2m palings for my place and couldn't get them. Supplier ended up getting us 150x25 retaining boards 6m lengths trimmed down to 2m. Much better finish and only a few cents in it per meter so I'm happy.

10 minutes ago, thegreatestben said:

Shortage, I needed 2m palings for my place and couldn't get them. Supplier ended up getting us 150x25 retaining boards 6m lengths trimmed down to 2m. Much better finish and only a few cents in it per meter so I'm happy.

Agreed.. we’re struggling at work too.. prenails booked out to January next year because of the timber shortage.

150x25 valley board is good for fencing too, R/S H3 treated 6m lengths (probably same stuff tbh)

2 minutes ago, j.e.d. said:

Agreed.. we’re struggling at work too.. prenails booked out to January next year because of the timber shortage.

150x25 valley board is good for fencing too, R/S H3 treated 6m lengths (probably same stuff tbh)

I think these were H4, it's like being in a fort for adults :)

• Like 2

In terms of supply issues I think we've gotten off pretty light, the only minor points were:

The exact model of heatpump wasnt available, went for a similar unit at close to equal price

The exact carpet was on backorder, went a shade lighter which was in stock

Doors were 2 weeks late

Tilers were in short supply, put final fitting away a week.

Pretty minor compared to what I hear described....

• Like 1

Sharning in here, with no useful info on the decking up vs down.

Parents house as a child had grooves up, as the timber ages / dries out, it splits, resulting in numerous splinters as a child from bare feet walking / running around (even gets my son now when we visit lol).  I never knew that it had been a choice of someone's to lay the timber that way.  Just presumed all decks were lame.

Current place has grooves down, but yes when it's wet it's really slippery ... have almost bailed a few times.  

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

• 2 weeks later...

Spent most of yesterday on the end of a paint brush.  Still some more bits to do but definately an improvement.  Should get rest of ashpalt down and then we can go back on the market.... kinda over it at this point...

234779845_1719920558193541_6301875411144806223_n.thumb.jpg.52bf61f5da962e32e75be2534d7acaaa.jpg

233732263_530834141363524_5191325094661024403_n.thumb.jpg.34d73345b27f3868a09333735a840326.jpg

228161429_1152025348621917_2122997807023669257_n.thumb.jpg.5653398d2e3ecc4a55e3d50914305f65.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

House finish came up really nice!

Hate to say it, but the mis-matching of timber levels on the steps makes me sad. Though they may be temporary, if so no worries. I'm a stickler for details though and it gave me a mad twitch. 

Good job either way.

22 minutes ago, Bling said:

House finish came up really nice!

Hate to say it, but the mis-matching of timber levels on the steps makes me sad. Though they may be temporary, if so no worries. I'm a stickler for details though and it gave me a mad twitch. 

Good job either way.

On the side of the steps?  Yea, the top boards are close to cover up the framing timber behind, kind a rock and a hard place with what we could do to make it functional and attractive.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

How long after the first open home till you park the Series on the brand new driveway?

Every successful Open Home needs a leaky transmission seal to trample gear oil though the new carpet, even private and virtual ones!

Seriously, GLWS man, hope it goes well.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...