DIY Kiwibuild

nzstato

12 minutes ago, Willdat? said:

Not trying to spam this up too much, but in my opinion real estate agents are not working for the seller either. They're working to maximise turnover. In a house worth 600k, 2%= $12k, to get $50k more of a sales price will require a whole lot more hustle for the agent to earn just $1k. A mates way of dealing with this was to offer 10% commission on $ over X, that's a real incentive to maximise what they're getting for you. 

We sold our house ourselves, was really easy, made a sign, listed on trademe, had an open home, took names and numbers at the open home, rang the people who attended that night and asked if they were interested in making an offer. Sold in a week. The best part was knowing exactly how the process was going. 

Spam away...

You're right, in many cases, the agents work to their incentive scheme rather than maximising the situation for the seller - who said a quick sale is a good sale?  potentially leaving $$$ on the table there.

With what I do for a living I could look to do this myself, in all honesty its the hassle factor with everything else I have going on in life.  With a well trained agent they will do your bidding...

I feel the commissions should look like investment funds...... you have a super low base rate, then a large performance fee i.e. achieve x% above the average price/GV for the area... that'll sort the wheat from the chaff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, azzurro said:

crooked gate makes me itch given the workmanship elsewhere! Hope its just the camera angle.

-_

(ps good work man, time to get some $ coming inwards!)

It is.... the previous owners didnt ensure the strainer post was vertical as the concrete dried.....

That gate is probably going to go, just not sure where yet....

• 2 weeks later...

So because this is real life I am currently looking at some nasty cost over runs on the build, not a small amount either (80k).  I am fairly miffed with my contractor as the communication around this have been piss poor and its only after I asked a few questions were they forthcoming around the invoices I can expect. 

Making it worse is the $$ I had set aside to bid on some land at auction this weekend now has to be used for these variations and pours cold water on that idea....

Not a huge amount I can do, but it grinds me - I feel there is a thin line between a provisional cost estimate and fraudulent bait advertising....

Moving on they can expect an owner who is going to be very dilligent with the details of the building contract and extremely picky at final inspection...

• Like 8
  • Sad 3

Dang. 

Costs changes are related to variations tho? not just "yeah, nah, quote was for $ but lol, jokes heres the invoice for $$$"?

Shame cause otherwise seems like it was going pretty good, nice tidy site, good progress, quality work, etc?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, azzurro said:

Dang. 

Costs changes are related to variations tho? not just "yeah, nah, quote was for $ but lol, jokes heres the invoice for $$$"?

Shame cause otherwise seems like it was going pretty good, nice tidy site, good progress, quality work, etc?

The 'build' is going well, the builders are ace, working solid hours and a tidy side.

The project management of earthworks/services is rubbish, and thats where all the variations are....  yep, its the old bait and switch....

a diligent QS wont let a dodgy prov.sum through but they can still get you when you think you have your eye on it too. ive seen some commercial stuff go through which ended up the minimum compliant solution was 100% more than the PS let alone to the spec allegedly allowed for

• 4 weeks later...

I've been a bit slack on pics, the 'build' side of things is progressing well. 

Demo of the other garage recently.  I was correct in my assessment, below that roughcast there was alot of rot and not really worth saving.

D19.thumb.jpg.fb2310aa8cbc3a7dd847694718448c0a.jpg

D20.thumb.jpg.1c5df7ff6efa59f84f8615161a6e97a1.jpg

• Like 4

On 26/05/2021 at 15:45, nzstato said:

So because this is real life I am currently looking at some nasty cost over runs on the build, not a small amount either (80k).  I am fairly miffed with my contractor as the communication around this have been piss poor and its only after I asked a few questions were they forthcoming around the invoices I can expect. 

Making it worse is the $$ I had set aside to bid on some land at auction this weekend now has to be used for these variations and pours cold water on that idea....

Not a huge amount I can do, but it grinds me - I feel there is a thin line between a provisional cost estimate and fraudulent bait advertising....

Moving on they can expect an owner who is going to be very dilligent with the details of the building contract and extremely picky at final inspection...

I had a similar experience when I did my place, had a budget of 340k at 20% deposit. I was told that I'd piss it in for 300 and have enough for a garage. By the time the house was on the section with me doing all the ground works etc, costs were already at 270k.. no found no nothing. There were a few factors involved, one of them being naivety on both my part and the scheme provider, another was cera (cunts), geotechs, asbestos etc etc.. all in all pushed the budget out to 360k this included getting the house for free (20k) and the architect waving his bill (good cunt). 

I don't "blame" Garry who provided us with the means to go down this route, but a bit more research would have thrown up these potential issues. Ultimately we got what we wanted and the potential for it to pay off in the near future is higher than if we had just bought an existing dwelling. 

I'd do it again, but with the obvious benefit of experience. 

• Like 3

Just now, yetchh said:

I had a similar experience when I did my place, had a budget of 340k at 20% deposit. I was told that I'd piss it in for 300 and have enough for a garage. By the time the house was on the section with me doing all the ground works etc, costs were already at 270k.. no found no nothing. There were a few factors involved, one of them being naivety on both my part and the scheme provider, another was cera (cunts), geotechs, asbestos etc etc.. all in all pushed the budget out to 360k this included getting the house for free (20k) and the architect waving his bill (good cunt). 

I don't "blame" Garry who provided us with the means to go down this route, but a bit more research would have thrown up these potential issues. Ultimately we got what we wanted and the potential for it to pay off in the near future is higher than if we had just bought an existing dwelling. 

I'd do it again, but with the obvious benefit of experience. 

Sounds similar... at the end of the day its going to cost what it is, the part which annoyed me is the lack of communication and the attempt to pass on costs which were clearly due to their poor management decisions. 

I've got them a little bit on the short and curlys now (and they know it) as had completed some work which was clearly non-compliant (safety issue) and I asked for it to be rectified.  In two minds whether I pass that info onto the appropriate tradesmans board.  

4 minutes ago, nzstato said:

Sounds similar... at the end of the day its going to cost what it is, the part which annoyed me is the lack of communication and the attempt to pass on costs which were clearly due to their poor management decisions. 

I've got them a little bit on the short and curlys now (and they know it) as had completed some work which was clearly non-compliant (safety issue) and I asked for it to be rectified.  In two minds whether I pass that info onto the appropriate tradesmans board.  

If you don't mind me asking, what we're the cost overruns? 

7 minutes ago, yetchh said:

If you don't mind me asking, what we're the cost overruns? 

I'm going to do all of the $$ at the end when I know thats what it is but comes into the below buckets.

Extra excavations

Basing up ground level

Taller foundations (bloody council)

Retention tank + SW plan

Fence, not originally quoted (but the other one was)

New Kerb + channel, not originally quoted