ThePog again needs tech info about Carib shitboxes

ThePog

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just check your injectors using a screwdriver and your ears like the others suggest.

If you are getting spark your ECU is probably working right, unless Toyota was still using VAST at the time (with VAST systems the distributor will still generate a spark on its own until the ECU sends signals back to it).

No discernable sound from the injectors.

I pulled an injector off the spare engine an plugged it in, nothing.

Checked all the fuses, no issues.

Swapped the EFI relay for another one, nothing.

I will now double check the cam timing....

Is there a way to check the modules in the dizzy?

Oh and a brand new battery.

Generally there should be 12v at the injector with the ignition on and they are fired by pull to ground through the ecu. So maybe find the positive side, and see if it has volts back to an engine or body earth. 

I haven't followed this too closely, but are the injectors good known units from a running car. It is possible to 'varnish' or crud up the injectors if the were the ones sitting for years from the wrecker motor? 

Does tacho come off the stop when cranking, if so I'd shelve other work on the dizzy etc.. 

Wife's old corolla I didn't know had an immobiliser, it looked like a boring old black key with no buttons or anything on it. I had a spare key cut that turned out to be good for unlocking the door and making the engine turn over. Hence suggesting about the key thing. 

/put some petrol in it. 

Or you have missed an earth terminal off under the manifold near the starter motor. 

• 7 months later...

Time for more fuckery, the tyre pressure warning light is on in the Carib, I cannot imagine that it actually can monitor the pressures?

I disconnected the battery to check the ecu temp sensor was working properly, the light came on when I reconnected.....

Any help?

• Like 1

Likely works off individual wheel speed differential via ABS sensors.  Take it for a hoon and see if it clears the light.

VW/Audi products light the dash up like a Christmas tree after disconnecting the battery and they'll all resolve within a few hundred meters when they get the feedback they're looking for.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ThePog said:

Time for more fuckery, the tyre pressure warning light is on in the Carib, I cannot imagine that it actually can monitor the pressures?

I disconnected the battery to check the ecu temp sensor was working properly, the light came on when I reconnected.....

Any help?

any chance the spare tyre has a pressure sensor and it's low?

• 2 weeks later...

Righty. This fucking Carib.

I thought I had better chase the issue as the sensor is setting off the abs randomly now.

I pulled and cleaned all the sensors, it has stopped setting off the abs but the tyre pressure light still comes on after 250m of driving.

I pulled the front sensors right off and checked them with a multimeter and a spinning sprocket, they produce a signal. This pissed me off quite badly as the plug was a bit of a cunt to get to.

The rears appear to require complete disassembly of the interior to get to the plug. I am thinking of just hole sawing a hole in the plastic in that area to get to the plug.

Is there a better way? Like will the fault codes tell me anything?

Being a early Carib, I assume it uses indirect sensors rather than the direct battery operated fancy schrader valve thats mounted in the rim?

What's the tyre condition like in relation to the opposite side? 

Exaggerated but a new tyre on one side and a worn tyre on the other side would make it think its tyre pressure is low, Daughter been doing some mean one wheeler roll backs g?

• Like 1

Passive sensors on abs things.

There is a hefty gark out of one sidewall that wasn't there at the last wof, so yea I gave her shit about that. Otherwise the wear is pretty even. She will need a couple of new tyres now anyway, so maybe I will sort that first and see if it cures it.

• Like 1

I checked the rears today after I found the plugs, the left rear might have been intermittent, hard to tell.

The brat reckoned that was the one making the noise, ie that one activating the abs.

Is the circuit that sophisticated? Or can it control individual wheels?

If it has stability control then yes it can activate an individual wheel, detects slide, calculates which wheels it needs to brake to correct it. In some vehicles its used to keep traction when stuck too, it will brake the wheel with no traction 

If it wasn't for this my dad would have sent the s4 into the first ditch he seen, He admitted later that the car had corrected before he realised it was sliding.... "I have never driven this car, oh its a v8?! let me just fucking floor it in the wet" ...  idiot

• Like 3