ThePog again needs tech info about Carib shitboxes

ThePog

Just did the cambelt on my daughter's Carib, 1.6 4afe.

I go for a test drive and it sounds like it is detonating to fuck around 2000rpm. Kick it down and it goes away when the revs go up.

Park it up, put it in drive and rev it up it is super noisy.

Pretty sure we got the cam timing right, we marked it and everything.

We did an oil/filter change at the same time and put 10-40 in there, the stuff that came out is noticably thicker on my diy viscosity test.

Anyone have an opinion on that? 

I think the next thing is to Chuck some 20-50 in there and see if it fixes it...

Couldn't be the ecu has reset after the battery was disconnected overnight?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Make sure you have the cambelt tension set right as well. If it is a bit loose you will get the camshaft rocking forward and back a little, which will screw with your timing and also make a rumbling sound.

/If you consult the owners manual you will see that timing belts don't actually need to be changed on these engines unless they are being used as a taxi. Non-interference and all. Saying that, I'd have changed it too.

1 hour ago, KKtrips said:

Have you reset the timing? It sounds too far advanced.

Yeah that's what it sounds like, way advanced and detonating like a fucker. We didn't touch the timing, only unplugged battery overnight.

I wouldn't have thought a tooth out on the can would end up with this noise either. I might check it tho.

Edit; it drives fine otherwise...

21 minutes ago, ajg193 said:

Make sure you have the cambelt tension set right as well. If it is a bit loose you will get the camshaft rocking forward and back a little, which will screw with your timing and also make a rumbling sound.

/If you consult the owners manual you will see that timing belts don't actually need to be changed on these engines unless they are being used as a taxi. Non-interference and all. Saying that, I'd have changed it too.

I paid particular attention to the belt tension, it's probably not that.

Yes the belt looked like it had a few more km left in it, but still.

Did you do it as per the factory manual, using the cam timing marks on the head and block? If I recall the manual says for the tensioner you just have the bolt loose so it tensions to it's own spring setting and then you rotate the engine through two full rotations before tightening the bolt

1 minute ago, ajg193 said:

Did you do it as per the factory manual, using the cam timing marks on the head and block? If I recall the manual says for the tensioner you just have the bolt loose so it tensions to it's own spring setting and then you rotate the engine through two full rotations before tightening the bolt

None of this lol, I don't have a manual.

2 minutes ago, KKtrips said:

Making your own marks after the belt has stretched can be a rookie mistake. Its probably advanced the inlet cam.

It would have done both, they are geared together in the head. This is a strong possibility.