ThePog again needs tech info about Carib shitboxes

ThePog

39 minutes ago, mjrstar said:

This has had a replacement engine yeah? 

I'd be checking front knuckle wiring wherever it terminates back to the body if it's been apart for axle removal etc.. 

Ye the engine was out but was fine for ages after that. I have checked much wiring and connections, all seems fine.

I have replaced a rear sensor that seemed slightly intermittent, but I am waiting for tyres to get replaced before I can check if this did anything.

12 minutes ago, sidewaysickness said:

Honestly I was surprised it had tyre pressure monitoring 

Me too, although its not really measuring it if it just looks for differences in rotation speed. I would be very surprised if it knew which wheel to control with the abs as well. Altho I guess it can if it can sense individual wheel rotation.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey @kws@mjrstar

So here is the story. I put the new tyres on and went for a drive. It immediately threw an abs light and the tyre pressure light on.

So I did the diagnostic thing and it had codes for left rear and right front. Fair enough, I had previously got the abs light when I had not seated the left rear correctly, and like a dick I had forgotten to plug the right front back in.

I cleared those codes and the abs light went off. But the fucking tyre pressure one came right back on...

So is there a jumper setting to get the tyre pressure fault codes out? I had a look but I can't see anything. 

I'm tempted to let her loose in it tomorrow and see what happens.

Probably a dumb question, but have you checked pressures on the newly fitted tyres? 

Tyre shop will often leave pressure very high when I get tyres done.. They'd need to be within a few psi to keep the system happy.

not just flat, for example the system may be unhappy with 2 tyres at 40 psi and the other 2 at 32 psi. 

2 minutes ago, mjrstar said:

Probably a dumb question, but have you checked pressures on the newly fitted tyres? 

Tyre shop will often leave pressure very high when I get tyres done.. They'd need to be within a few psi to keep the system happy.

not just flat, for example the system may be unhappy with 2 tyres at 40 psi and the other 2 at 32 psi. 

The first thing I did was make sure all the pressures were the same..

eh but surely this isnt actively monitoring pressure? that's like mid 2000s tech isnt it? was left rear the problematic one? and did you replace the ABS sensor on that? (sorry not been a long time reader). I had a 97 caldina that had abs fault and turned out to be just the sensor - Zebra replacement had it sorted. Didnt have tire pressure monitoring though

Yea so she took it to school today and it did the ABS overactive fault a couple of times on the way there, but not at all on the way back. I checked the fault codes and there was nothing, however the tyre pressure warning light was flashing its own code. Translating the flashes to the ABS codes it said right front. I cant find anywhere on the net that says the tyre pressure light has its own fault codes, does anyone know?

But that was the one I had accidentally left unplugged so maybe it is just that code? Fuck knows.

As I am now a certified Toyota tech I decided to check the engine codes while I was there, it had one for the intake air temperature sensor, so maybe I will chuck one of those in as well.