ThePog again needs tech info about Carib shitboxes

ThePog

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Port will be near strut tower by air intake pipe probably. Will say DIAGNOSTIC or similar

The way those old EFI systems work is that the distributor will just send a spark at a set timing point unless it receives a timing override signal from the ECU. Bridging those terminals stops the signal from getting to the distributor.

5 minutes ago, ajg193 said:

Port will be near strut tower by air intake pipe probably. Will say DIAGNOSTIC or similar

The way those old EFI systems work is that the distributor will just send a spark at a set timing point unless it receives a timing override signal from the ECU. Bridging those terminals stops the signal from getting to the distributor.

So if it's messed up how do I reset it?

You'll have to get your cams in the right place relative to the crankshaft. There's practically no way someone has adjusted the distributor so far when compensating for belt wear as to put the timing out by like 15 degrees.

Bridging and unbridging those connections gives instant result for locking/unlocking the timing

9 minutes ago, ajg193 said:

You'll have to get your cams in the right place relative to the crankshaft. There's practically no way someone has adjusted the distributor so far when compensating for belt wear as to put the timing out by like 15 degrees.

Bridging and unbridging those connections gives instant result for locking/unlocking the timing

I just checked, the cam timing is correct. The notch at tdc on the crank pulley, the hole and notch line up at the top.

Should I bridge and release that timing thingy, and will it bring the timing back?

How would it have gotten so far out?

Just now, ajg193 said:

Yeah, some are TE and some are T.

Timing should be set to like 10 deg btdc with the TE1 and E1 bridged. There may be a sticker on your bonnet that gives the exact number for your vehicle config.

Alrighty, I will do that.

• 7 months later...

Ok so more fuckery on this.

We replaced the spark plugs and the coolant sensor. It started and ran sweet so she drove it to its spot and parked overnight. She went to start it the next day and it turns over but no go. The turn over sortof sounds like a timing thing as it slows pretty quick and sounds a bit laboured. I pulled the battery out and charged it up than left it and it was showing over 13v after a day so probably good.

I will check for spark next but does anyone have an opinion? @ajg193?