Yoeddynz's 1973 Bedford TK truck talkings

Thphantum

I honestly thought youd got that free truck from Blenheim.

But on that note,

Would that parts truck that the seller had have the parts needed to Dave that free truck?

I honestly thought that one of these was a terrible life choice. But the absence of the original running gear make it a less terrible vehicle.

• Like 1

This is sooo cool. I approve wholeheartedly. I often wondered how those small wheel TKs go. When I was a young  fella, my mate’s big wheel farm tk (diesel) would cruise at 70km/h (earmuffs required).

It was replaced with a (Hino) Ford N1317, and the poor old beddy probably ended up rotting away in some farm rubbish pit.

• Sad 1

Yeah cool nothing like buying local and with such good history 

You know I have a particular hate for the TK but the twin headlights do help - my bro has one same size but twin underbody tipper hoist not sure on motor but it’s jap diesel -similar history bought off an old boy on a Southland farm 

no one wants the original 214/300 petrol or the Bedford 330 diesel except maybe one extreme Barry - converted ones are worth way more 

Throttle linkage - ha wait til you see the brake linkages to master cylinder lol 

No tilt cab means way easier to put loft over cab - can’t wait to see what you come up with for design - pop out kitchen on one whole wall works well on that size 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thphantum said:

Those twin headlights are actually kinda cool.

Yeah initially we both figured they were added by the owner and we planned to swap back to original singles. Then once we found out they are factory fitted they started to seem ok. Now I have sussed a way to make them tie in nicer I think they are staying put.

7 hours ago, datlow said:

turbo should help with the extra weight of the house!!

Yeah certainly could be added. Could just nick the setup from @ThePog dynafari once he gets bored and starts another awesome project...

7 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Would that parts truck that the seller had have the parts needed to Dave that free truck?

I honestly thought that one of these was a terrible life choice. But the absence of the original running gear make it a less terrible vehicle.

The engine on the truck in the field is still a goer- but I'd only wish it upon an enemy so when it breaks down they lose. Its a horrid 214 petrol thing.

Your reply on the design disasters thread about the old dispondent barrys in the bedford foundry had me pissing myself laughing! I see only good things happening when something British gets a Jappa diesel.

Hannah's bedford 330 did work really well and never let us down. But it should have been good- it had been fully reconditioned by the BBC workshops with tax payers money and low mileage when she got it. But to rebuild a fucked one of those engines these days- it aint bloody worth it. Hence a nissan engine makes so much sense. That Barry on the bedford facebook group just ... well... idiot.

3 hours ago, Transom said:

Yeah cool nothing like buying local and with such good history

Throttle linkage - ha wait til you see the brake linkages to master cylinder lol

yep- its a cool history alright! There's more to post up about that soon.

I'm already pretty familiar with the brake setup- although Hannahs 330 powered TK in the UK was air over hydraulic with a fairly complex unit on the side.  This one has the usual slop in the pedal bush where it mounts on the steering box. I'll be sorting that out soon.

This one has also been altered and now has a different  remote servo/master like what's on a bloody hillman hunter so single circuit brakes. I hate the idea of single circuit so I'll be swapping it back to original- I have a plan.

House ideas are already quite well planned out and it should be a really neat use of the space.  Very excited to get into building that!

We will be building a new deck first though.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Sunbeam said:

I often wondered how those small wheel TKs go.

I had one for a couple of years in the early '90s. Original 214 petrol and four speed. Top speed on the flat 35 mph but didn't like to take it over 30. Fuel consumption averaging 10 mpg. Real stump puller diff gears. Almost never used first gear unless heavily laden. Perfect truck for town deliveries or hay making. Rolling roadblock on the highway.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

enjoyable read so far.  I have a '64 TK fitted with a 400 cinch Leyland diesel 12.7 tonnes GVM

I use it to transport my Caterpillar 22 crawler to rallies etc

How has the restoration and building come along?

• Like 5

It's been on the back burner for ages. Looking forward to painting it next and have removed the guards to clean them up. Most recently it's been used for pulling flaxes from the ground, stashing old posts on the deck and putting seedlings out in the sun on the deck away from the reach of wekas. 

Very useful.. :grin:

• Like 2