Thousand Dollar Supercar's vintage radiogram drinks cabinet

i was watching a british classic car buy/sell show thing the other day and they wanted to add a shift knob to their alfa that matched better than the aftermarket one it had. 
the went to see a guy to wood turned things but who filled in the cracks of wood with metals and smoothed them off, it looks amazing. they did pewter for the alfa to match the steering wheel spokes. pewter melts really easily and i rekon that a bit of that here and there on your cabinet would look amazing. 

oh i actually managed to find a clip that included the whole process

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=349276389564132

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BlownCorona said:

i was watching a british classic car buy/sell show thing the other day and they wanted to add a shift knob to their alfa that matched better than the aftermarket one it had. 
the went to see a guy to wood turned things but who filled in the cracks of wood with metals and smoothed them off, it looks amazing. they did pewter for the alfa to match the steering wheel spokes. pewter melts really easily and i rekon that a bit of that here and there on your cabinet would look amazing. 

oh i actually managed to find a clip that included the whole process

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=349276389564132

Interesting.. Someone needs a bollocking for the subtitles saying 'Alpha Spyder'. :P I have sanded the cabinet's top lid back again using an electric sander this time, and today I was planning to skim one or two more areas of the lid with the coloured wood putty. I think the remaining chips and dents are few enough in number that it would look weird filling them with pewter instead. It would be like I accidentally splashed molten solder onto the cabinet and couldn't get it off again. ;) 

I wonder how the pewter thing would look on my Jag's centre console veneer which is riddled with cracks:

veneeroiled1.thumb.JPG.2b0b6704883a795cd0403b31914b466d.JPG

I'm hoping that what I learn from mucking up this radiogram cabinet can help me tackle my great grandfather's piano next. It's burr walnut underneath heavily darkened varnish, and it could probably look great if I just paid thousands to someone competent...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 16/07/2023 at 21:30, h4nd said:

Oooh, ooh! Jaycar has naked bulb green and blue neon indicators now!

"Would you believe it? After about 100 years of orangey-red neons we now can get blue and green ones! You'll buy one out of curiosity!"

HOW DID THEY KNOW? :blink:

$_57.JPG&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=5e3ff12fd50e4852

I was not aware of these and my project does not incorporate any. =(

This weekend I've been doing a terrible job of refinishing the cabinet. Life would be easier if I was Renaissance Man, but unfortunately I am easily defeated by some bits of wood. I should have just put some wax onto the original finish to hide the scratches and called it a day. Instead my house is all full of dust and the cabinet hasn't been improved. <_<

I kept finding that I hadn't taken enough of the old finish off before recoating. I think the old finish contained a bit of stain, so when I went over the wood with waterborne clear varnish, it looked blotchy:

sidepanelblotchy.JPG.34ad8c7dcea2d68ab69883449ed919c5.JPG

The clear varnish also isn't quite dark enough to match the front panels, and I don't want to touch those because of the knobs etc sticking through them. So I've sanded that side panel again to have another go. It's OK to keep redoing the sides of the cabinet over and over because they're thick, but the top lid's a different story. It's thin and the wood is damaged from the sun, so I can't keep sanding it indefinitely. It's also warped because it's hollow / not solid wood, so when I hit it with my electric sander, the stain doesn't get removed from all the low spots:

lidinsufficientprep.JPG.4cbdf7e60c58b153a5034fb1064c1aa2.JPG

If I try to put clear varnish on it from that state, the dark patches look even darker. (this is me developing the art of furniture restoration myself from scratch by trial and error, because there's no such thing as the internet or night classes)

I've attacked the lid some more to try to dig down to clean wood, and now I'm trying a solvent-based oak-stain-urethane on it. Who knows if it will match the original finish of the front panels. Who knows if it will even match the front doors, which I've already given several coats of waterborne clear varnish. =\

On the upside, I've been able to start fitting castor wheels underneath the cabinet by precariously hanging it over the edge of the table it's sitting on.

On the downside, the vibrations from my sander caused a decanter to fall out of the cabinet and spill Wild Turkey all over the floor, and I couldn't do a floor suck because of all the sanding dust. :tongue:

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've gotta throw up some photos here, so that I can post them on Facebook afterwards (oldschool gets the scoop).

A reminder 'before' shot from 2012:

before_hdr3.jpg.7ee5a04756d5fa1056fea29f7f0de3b1.jpg

The wood originally had a darker stain which did make the grain stand out more, but the HDR photographic effect is further exaggerating its stripiness.

Now (below), the external changes to the cabinet are pretty minor, and the wood is a lighter shade (which wasn't intentional - I'm not a fan of light oak).

cabinetoffandshut.JPG.b77f58efd868cf4867c95543972c8903.JPG

The central panel with the knobs is the only one which still has its original finish, so it stands out as being too dark (especially after I waxed it). :(

Power it up...

onbutclosed1.thumb.JPG.e8f7e93fa872e96435bfd026e1b2c58e.JPG

This 'mysterious glow' effect (basically a convenient way to use up the last of my icicle LED lights) can be switched off:

onbutclosed2.JPG.557d23463fadf58b3e050a4c9bab20ce.JPG

Here's another 'before' shot, with the radio and speakers stripped out:

empty.jpg.443f8a50270a7b8b0ed29223d22bd782.jpg

After:

openbutcurtainclosed1.thumb.JPG.47d6d66273b039e766f791f36a3fdd81.JPG

You can see my Nixie tube clock has found a new home in the top of this cabinet. I made up this clock from a kitset in 2015. I originally intended to house it inside the centre of the cabinet where the radio used to be, but not only was that an impractical place for it, the clock was also too bulky.

nixieclockcrop.JPG.8e5da4faa187bc6c95becfdd9bae3217.JPG

If you turn on the switch to the right, the gears to attempt to spin. That mostly works.

This is the upper shelf of the left side cupboard:

truthserum.JPG.91e378f668d40ce2d51aab0572733fee.JPG

You can see I've covered the ceiling with some copper mesh backed with blue velvet, to hide the holes where the record player originally was. All of these photos are taken from favourable angles / there are plenty of rough edges. :P

My newest purchase for the cabinet is this lighter:

lighter1.JPG.a687934e338e374c95223b49963c923c.JPG

It functions as either Jim Beam (with its oldschool lighter insert) or Jim Laser Beam :cheese: (below):

JimLaserBeam.JPG.7fd8c903cd35b1590c0502116fee7e9b.JPG

I haven't been brave enough to stick my finger in yet. :shaking2:

More pics to come. =)

• Like 4