Thousand Dollar Supercar's vintage radiogram drinks cabinet

Oldschool home entertainment circa 1940s(?) (edit: I now believe it was made around 1957):

before_hdr4.jpg.723f72503fa2e21bad4d76ff66433f68.jpg

I didn't choose this project - my brother just turned up with it on my birthday in 2012 (a frabulous, grabulous, zip-zoop-zabulous present).

It contained the expected Bakelite record player and reel-to-reel tape machine housed in the top, and a built-in valve radio. I set the needle to 88mph to see if I would be transported back to 1945:

before_closeup2.jpg.5438624728910d1095b37274aadba4b9.jpg

Nothing happened except a loud 50Hz hum. None of the other gizmos was fully operational either. I pulled the radio and speakers out:

empty.jpg.96a5b6c5e7bc1c1f288376bbb4c4814a.jpg

My plans were to use the cabinet for storing booze, and to put some electronics back into it which were more functional and decorative than the original stuff. Basically keep it as a man cave accessory / conversation piece.

Edited by Thousand Dollar Supercar
updating estimated year of manufacture
  • Like 7

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Just now, Transom said:

Cool - what was that music track ? Knightshade ? 

That's 'Run of the Mill' by Judas Priest. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuXoalKim9c

I picked it because of that quiet section which shows off the fact that the kit works in stereo. With most busy and full-sounding music tracks, the tube displays just sit near their maximum most of the time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, kempy said:

Is that an Aerolux Cross I spy? @Thousand Dollar Supercar

It's a knockoff no-brand "Neon Cross". Surplustronics used to sell them but they don't seem to be listed any more. Hindu "Om" lamps are still available but unfortunately those can't be inverted for Satan worship. :P

The left channel of my magic eye kit has stopped working. The tube now just indicates the minimum level. I need to fix this before I can go any further. =(

Edit: I traced the problem to an open-circuit resistor. Of course I don't have a replacement one of the right value, but I'm pretty sure that Ohm's law is temporarily suspended during lockdown...

Edited by Thousand Dollar Supercar
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hey bud.  I have a garage full of these old radios.  If you want any bits let me know.  Happy to remove the eyes trim if I have one that your after. Saves you losing any more auctions to collectors :). Pm me a pic of the one you were looking for and I will see what I have. 

• Thanks 1

@GMH63 That would be great if you've got an eye trim with a hood/eyelid that you'd be prepared to part with.. My first choice would be brass, bronze or similar, but brown Bakelite/plastic would also match existing trim on my radiogram.

Re the collectors, the cheapest broken 'project' radios with magic eyes seem to fetch ~$50+ for small ones and ~$100+ for tombstones, plus there's the challenge of getting a whole radio to Auckland. They seem to be worth a few hundred once done up (everyone in Napier and every trendy hipster needs one). I wasn't gonna pay that just to scavenge one piece of trim, and in the process, ruin a proper antique to adorn my abomination. But if you've got a trim piece on a radio that's already missing parts, let me know..

I'd also be interested in a couple of logo / nameplates and large valves (not working) for decoration. Will pay monies plus shipping.

Pic for thread:

807732506_magiceyead.jpg.6339f6c06787c33bebb418e116b50801.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, igor said:

At first glance I thought was your inverted cross was a flaming sword. Either way a very clever project.

Yeah, unfortunately it does look a bit like that. I guess I made a Power Metal button then - hit the switch and take a drink whenever you hear Dragonforce or the Thundercats theme. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 8 months later...