KE20 Wiper Motor Wiring - Help needed

Bananaman

Hi all, Just at the point in my re-wire of the corolla I want to fix up the wiper motor operation.

The way it has been wired didn't use the auto park feature which as you can imagine is a pain in the ass. So looking for help as to the correct way to wire it in to make use of the auto park.

Wiper motor is a 5 wire motor. So far I have identified the following wires / function.

Blue / Black - Low speed 12v supply

Blue / Red - High speed 12v supply

Black - Earth

Blue / Blue - 12v+ (not sure if this is correct but is how it was wired in existing)

Blue / White (unknown, NC in the current loom)

If someone has a KE20 workshop manual and wants to scan the wiper motor wiring diagram I would be grateful. Also side bar since this car has been built from just about every other manufacturer I can't confirm if this motor is actually the stock one or out of another vehicle just to make matters worse. Any help is appreciated.

20210109-154832.jpg

This is a bit generic. I suspect the unconnected wire is the switched auto park wire. When the motor is in any position but parked it will supply 12 volts which will be cut when you reach the park position. This is normally connected to the low speed wire via the wiper switch. 

There are a couple of things you can do to check, the first is check for continuity between blue/blue and blue/white when off park. Then connect blue/white and blue/black together apply power to blue/blue and earth to black and the motor should auto park.

On 13/01/2021 at 13:16, Kiwibirdman said:

This is a bit generic. I suspect the unconnected wire is the switched auto park wire. When the motor is in any position but parked it will supply 12 volts which will be cut when you reach the park position. This is normally connected to the low speed wire via the wiper switch. 

There are a couple of things you can do to check, the first is check for continuity between blue/blue and blue/white when off park. Then connect blue/white and blue/black together apply power to blue/blue and earth to black and the motor should auto park.

Not able to wire the motor as you described and have it auto park. Watched another tutorial about wiper motors and wired as per there instructions and the results are the video I posted above. I know this is a generic and hard to answer question but do you think the motor has a fault?

3 hours ago, ajg193 said:

Put a bit of load on it, maybe it just isn't slowing down enough to actually park.

Success! 

As you have pointed out it only needed a fraction more resistance to stop each time at the park position. Thanks for the guidance guys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1