RIVALRX 1984 XE FALCON

rivalrx

Cheers bruv!

That’s a question I’ve been asking myself, as I’m in no hurry at all to get this done. 

The way I see it is I have 2 options:

1 - get the car back in the system as is by doing the bare minimum and then do the V8 conversion. 

2 - convert it and take it to get re registered. It will fail on no cert and then I can do it all at once, albeit with time constraints (if any). 

Pretty sure getting it on the road and back in the system as is,  is the most likely plan of attack. Then get the cert once conversion is complete. 

Keen to hear other folks views on this so fire away. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yea man, just get it legal, could be unforeseen costs in doing that aione that could set you back budget wise before you even get a chance to modify, and besides, you get to cruise a while stock, might change your build direction

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rivalrx said:

Cheers bruv!

That’s a question I’ve been asking myself, as I’m in no hurry at all to get this done. 

The way I see it is I have 2 options:

1 - get the car back in the system as is by doing the bare minimum and then do the V8 conversion. 

2 - convert it and take it to get re registered. It will fail on no cert and then I can do it all at once, albeit with time constraints (if any). 

Pretty sure getting it on the road and back in the system as is,  is the most likely plan of attack. Then get the cert once conversion is complete. 

Keen to hear other folks views on this so fire away. 

If you dont need to do any/minimal work to get it to pass re reg then it wont matter if you get it legal in standard form first

If however,  you need to do work to the car, then in my opinion it's better to just do everything once how you want it, get cert, then register it 

For example if you have to do ball joints , then you get it registered, and then pull it apart to lower it, you will be doubling up on labour working on the same area, paying for 2x wheel alignments etc  

If you are modifying it first;

1. Get vtnz or vinz to put a vin number on it but NOT do the re reg inspection.  While it's there, if it's got any rust or accident damage, ask them nicely to have a look and see if it will need a repair cert

2. Do mods, get lvv cert, repair cert if you have to 

3. Once you have that sorted, take it for its proper re reg inspection.  

4. Get wof sticker, rego, do a skid. 

The reason for doing it that way, is you only get 28 days to fix things for re reg inspection and it's usually not possible to get everything (lvv cert inspection, repairs, recheck, repair cert if it needs it) done in that time frame, so you end up paying twice, then get a different inspector, and the possibility of a different list, etc  

• Like 5

+1 to Clints method, i did this with the Impala and doing the same with the RX3.

That way you can build it once how you want and not doing shit just to get it legal that your changing after costing you more money in the long run.

Do it once do it right always works well. Albeit takes longer to get on the road but in the end its worth it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers man - looks like it is the wrong one for the XE. Appreciate you looking into it for me.

The C4 is for the 302W and it appears that I have sourced one incl cooler, lines, blue XE console shifter and it's been rebuilt.

I might even be getting the d shaft as the current owner is going Tremec.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 24/01/2022 at 19:27, CUL8R said:

Did you go out and collect the centre console and steering - see the limo that it came from in person? 

We've got 3 of them, all in various stages of rot and shoddy 80's-90's spec workmanship...

Yes I did mate. Still a few parts I’d love but chch to Auckland isn’t close and the parts are sizeable. The limo is certainly toast. 

oh you have 3. I will fire you a pm mate. 

Pics of the wheel before I got it and the state is is now. Still a bit to go but I just love the look. Would love one in black too

DEAE5B36-74C3-4C4F-ACD4-F4A2A7826105.jpeg

3A7F2C3D-4A08-401C-B4C1-D07ADD3B459B.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 15/01/2021 at 06:28, j.e.d. said:

Ahhhh the memories.. I did a XD that looked just like this on 12 slots way back when you needed to take your camera roll in to be processed.. mid 90's I think..  it was painted primer orange & had XF Fairmont doors so I could have central locking & electric window & mirrors.. lowered front springs, reset leafs by Archers who are still around today.. if I find a pic I'll scan & upload it.

Great direction you're heading with this

Took a while but stumbled across some old photos of my XD.. no nice ones unfortunately, coupla early pics showing a ding in the front where I must have hit something 

00AA2F14-8165-4D76-974E-33663B605AD6.jpeg

843749E8-32EC-4A03-9E2E-5D2D5D02ADCB.jpeg

9F1BB88D-401F-4983-952C-973616B45DBB.jpeg

• Like 6

Oh sht the bed that's cool! Cheers for sharing mate.

I move into my new house at the end of May and the mighty falcon is going to be in the shed....FINALLY and mush to the absolute disgust from my wife.

Plans are to just clean the b-jesus out of it and hoon out a few coils on the springs just for the shed aesthetics.

And to make some room, I will add on the bits that I have stashed:

Louvres

Mint front lower bumper and S Pac lower lip

Replace both tail lights

Replacement door mirror

Put the better rear bumper on and pop out the rear quarter dent the best I can

Fairmont bonnet

Fairmont headlights

Cut-down falcon grille

I love the light blue interior however the tan interior is rad also and I think will pop against the factory metallic blue that I will be painting it. Either way, the bucket seats and floor console will be going in and I can re trim the seats to suit what colour I decide to roll.

I bought a used set of 245 50 14 eagers in the weekend $84..... and these will be going on the prostars for more shed aesthetics.

• Like 3

On 28/03/2022 at 13:24, j.e.d. said:

Sounds like you’re on to it.. I got a box of door hinges that the old man stumbled across while cleaning the garage out.. you’re welcome to have them if they’re any use to you

6960CBDD-098A-4973-9FBC-93A7C3C49A20.jpeg

Thanks pal - my hinges are all sweet. I appreciate the offer/gesture

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of random wire wheel action - not a bad result. Yes it’s the same wheel and that’s after about 15min on the ol drill.  

I'm currently cobbling a set of S Pac XE rims together (you all know I love my wheels). 

if anyone has any of these wheels kicking about, please PM me. 

9C715242-25D8-420F-BE42-78240EDCFC42.jpeg

F1FA8C18-C071-4120-BA72-8E7E2E0752C7.jpeg

• Like 2