Ls1 into Hilux

johnny.race

TBH in this country if you want 4x4 it would probably be better to stick with the toyota trans. an A340 with a shift kit/valvebody or shimmed solenoids should be adequate. may want a custom convertor to suit the motor if you are changing cams or going turbo etc.  probably easier this way esp  if you can leave the gearbox and transfer case in the factory toyota positions, factory driveshafts etc.

I dont know but imagine you can buy adapters to go ls1 to a340 from aussie if not locally marks adapters/castlemaine etc.

You can get a multitude of different factory and aftermarket sumps for the ls1 other than the commodore ones, I would look into that in regards to crossmember and diff clearance at full suspension compression

13 hours ago, Testament said:

... You can get a multitude of different factory and aftermarket sumps for the ls1 other than the commodore ones, I would look into that in regards to crossmember and diff clearance at full suspension compression

I've been intouch with a crowd in Aus who sell conversion bits and pieces and they reckon there is a clearance problem between the ls1 front sump style (Holden) and a solid axle Lux's top torque reaction arm that they have mounted to the top of the axle housing. They get around it by using a rear sump and relocating the rod pickup points. Good to know. This stuff will all become clear when the ruffy Hilux I picked up a few months ago makes it from around the back of the shed. I'm familiar with the LN65/106 style Hiluxs - just not with 8 cyl's in them.

1344848670_20210123_164536(Large).thumb.jpg.8d88105cbf1dd068d673397e6c392cab.jpg

The rougher of the two is on the trailer but there is not alot between them, lol!

• Like 2

Yup torque arm on front axle gets in the way of most sumps 

My “cough” RV8 lux had no torque bar when I bought it and hitting the brakes hard made front axle roll forward on springs - wheels go to left - steering wheel goes to right - very very frighteneing 

Made a new mount on axle other side from the pumpkin and fitted adjustable torque bar from nz4wdbits - sorted and certed 

• Like 2

On 10/03/2021 at 21:14, Transom said:

very very frighteneing, thunder bolts and lightning 

Made a new mount on axle other side from the pumpkin and fitted adjustable torque bar from nz4wdbits - sorted and certed 

Cheers, got photos? I’ll probably ended up needing this also

1 hour ago, Ashkellybarr said:

Cheers, got photos? I’ll probably ended up needing this also

No photos it was a while back now but was on the modern Lvv cert system 

Basically 2 bits of 5mm steel plate shaped to the diff tube and boxed in to replicate the mount on the diff pumpkin but on left hand side and slightly lower mounting ears at the top for more clearance - that’s why it needed the adjustable arm 

Also had to replicate the upper mount on the crossmember / chassis that it mounts to 

Had a look at my old thread on off-road express circa 2007 but pics are long gone 

Does seem if you go to the “crossover “ steering conversion then the torque arm becomes obsolete and frees up a lot of room and more flex for serious off-road and may be easier 

7 hours ago, Transom said:

Does seem if you go to the “crossover “ steering conversion then the torque arm becomes obsolete and frees up a lot of room and more flex for serious off-road and may be easier 

Handling is heeeeeaps better with cross steer setup. 

With the torque arm deal they still move around under braking as the diff still rotates a bit, if you reposition the arm mounts that can introduce problems if it's not in the right spot as well  

Yup there’s the  cletus seal of approval 

Well worth checking out crossover steering to sort a lot of problems in one go 

I think I was down to last days before repay for another cert check so went with the option that was already half built 

• Like 1