Bigport 4age barrys apply here

kpr

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

2nd pic is a smallport flange in front of it.  So im gonna try my smallport manifolds on it with just the flange to adapt them.    then will weld those bits to the flange so it fills in the dead space and try again.

will use said results to decided how im going to modify the ports

• Like 1

There was a fella on Toyspeed who reduced the size of his smallport intake valves ... something something helmholtz.

/ling

Edit: intake ports, not valves.

It was an interesting theory, but I think that in this situation the vessel (runner) length would be a better variable to play with, rather than restricting the intake to get the resonance you wanted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, xsspeed said:

are you fucking with the 2nd or 1st gen bigport?

The early head. It's a better starting point to modify. I may try the other head when take this one off engine to modify it

6 hours ago, Sambo said:

There was a fella on Toyspeed who reduced the size of his smallport intake valves ... something something helmholtz.

/ling

Edit: intake ports, not valves.

It was an interesting theory, but I think that in this situation the vessel (runner) length would be a better variable to play with, rather than restricting the intake to get the resonance you wanted.

Redmist or something similar?  had that offroad race buggy?    I tried the same way back. but likely made an abortion of it. just made it go worse haha.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, kpr said:

Redmist

That's the guy. He did a fair amount of R&D on the smallport in his buggy. I don't recall seeing any dyno numbers, but apparently it went hard for what it was. 

There's plenty of examples of race and rally cars that have had their ports reshaped using Devcon and other 2 part epoxy type stuff. A lot of the time people do this for flow direction (eg downporting to point directly at the valve)) as much as port size/shape. There's got to be a few rally Barries around NZ who have gooed up their bigports over the years...

• Thanks 1