Bigport 4age barrys apply here

kpr

So  Ive always turned my nose up at anything that isn't a smallport 4age.    But since everyone jumped on the smallport wagon.  I thought i would attempt to make bigport great again

@kyteler the gc sent me some horrible bigport stuff along with an ae82 bluetop head.     I also had a bigport head thats been hanging around forever that i dug out.

so... soon as i put the 2 together, it seems all bigport heads weren't created the same.

first difference;  the top one is obviously  a rwd one and bottom fwd. as the top head doesn't have the fwd mount cast into it

4.thumb.jpg.7d2b5032da3d3c70519b9cb5ae3cd429.jpg

head on left is the "rwd head"    the port  entry is slightly smaller, but not a lot different

1.thumb.jpg.b8a86be82ee084773caf9628fc70c329.jpg

further down  the port are where things change a lot    "rwd head" below

3.thumb.jpg.5c329e84ca0b5de570e8ca3d1ec1a86e.jpg

Ae82 head.  the port is much bigger  most of the extra area is  made up by having a lower port floor.  but this also make it have a shittier short turn radius

2.thumb.jpg.b256d31a4e258c2ec1983b30e42c2c5b.jpg

So, questions i have

Are all rwd heads like this.  or did they go to the bigger casting when fwd/mr2 4age became a thing?

Bluetop  cams.   do they actually exist ? has anyone personally measured some up?

the cams out of the ae82 head measured the same as  smallport cams.  so either  its not a bluetop head.  or only rwd bluetops got bigger cams.  or said cams dont exist, and that billzilla guy tricked the whole internet. although they do have a different part number

I haven't decided which head sucks less as is.  I cant really be assed dyno testing both of them, but might have to happen.  the rwd item is my pick to modify

If you dont have any answers to my questions. At least entertain me with some sweet sharns of yesteryear how hard your bluetop kicked with  tvis

• Like 5

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching with interest, I remember my old '83 ae86 was stock standard when I got it, even had the intake crossover pipe over the radiator, that thing had so little torque that even gravel roads would require higher revs to break traction.

I remember it was a thing to remove the TVIS butterflies for "more top end", I never did that but I imagine it would make the bottom end torque become a black hole of nothingness.

10 minutes ago, ~Slideways~ said:

I remember it was a thing to remove the TVIS butterflies for "more top end", I never did that but I imagine it would make the bottom end torque become a black hole of nothingness.

The actual reality is, there was no top end increase... having a dearth of anything in the lower RPM just exacerbated that rip-snorting 74kw at the upper rev limits so it felt like it had more!

• Like 1

The MR2 early ZE had the bigger bottom end which leads to confusion? The worst engine for sure is the second gen bigport in early AE92's, I would guess that is what we are seeing above?

Anyway we can all agree that the AE82 FXGT is the best config 4AGE that existed. Lightest chassis and those early big port revs all day (until you run big ends) you need a fresh one though, I have driven a bunch and some go way harderer than others. /ling

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I assume the ae82 used those mounts on the head?  which were made in back in 83 along side ae86's.   which means the "fwd" casting would  have had to be made back then.  So maybe the 2 different heads were being produced at the same time.   doesn't seem like a toyota move though.

Yeah done a bunch of A series fwd cam belts and the mount is on the block? otherwise it would be all fucked up for single cam and FE stuff? memory is hazy though.

Edit: yeah as per the link its a radiator hose thing which not all FWD used. I would put money its a late vs early bigport thing.

ae86 and ae82  have different part number head. but that could mean anything.    So thats  why redtop 4ages suck so much. they made the ports screwed up  put smaller cams in and heaver rotating assembly

could be worse, could be talking 20v's