manual swapped 1g wont idle

BlownCorona

I would chuck some injector cleaner through it also. One that has PEA in it that stuff actually works. Probably not the issue but if it’s been sitting with old fuel I have seen many a stuck injector from old fuel varnish /residue. 

what kind of idle control does it have? They can be pretty shit on these. I bought a manual 1ggze turd back in the day and as said above just had the idle wound up. 

some slight progress/investigation today, but since i had a good block of time i mostly focused on colour sanding the orange peel out. 

but i noticed that the secondary exhaust manifold gasket was leaking, i forgot that during the manual swap we went to remove the exhuast from the headers back and one nut rounded off and and seized after a few turns before snapping off. the o2 sensor is directly in front of the leak. its a 1 wire sensor so not super flash but cant be helping.

it needs fixing anyway so have ordered the gaskets and will do that first. 

for idle control these have a 6 wire ISCV. i dont know anything more than that. all i can really do is check its getting power. while i was out ordering the gaskets, i grabbed a can of throttle body cleaner, and will look to give everything involved a good scrub up. 

the idle speed when it wants to idle is just fine at around 900 - 1000. but its when its idleing down from a rev that it doesnt catch itself. 

idle up reminding me of a symptom i forgot to mention. 

when it was idling by itself and i hit the ac fan on, it stalled out so it didnt seem like idle up wasnt working, not sure if this means somethings not operational or just part of the whole issue.

id really like the car to function as if it were factory, but not at all against doing non factory things to get it there. can you get aftermarket IACV controllers that would have more adjustability?

i got bored home alone on new years and the bourbons just weren't filling the void inside me, so i went out and pulled the iacv off. 

i started to clean the rubber pintle valve with carb cleaner only to discover it wasn't rubber, and was actually half the size it started once id cleaned all the shit off. 

given it was nearly 12, i couldn't really run the engine long or rev it heaps, but a quick test felt positive. i probably should have waited till 12 and all the fireworks would have covered the noise lol. 

will see in the morning 

Again, I have been spending the day colour sanding while I have the rare opportunity of solid days to myself 

But the idle speed is significantly higher than it was ~2500 rpm after cleaning the iscv. So regardless if that was the problem, it was definitely its own issue. I'll get under the hood and wind the idle back down later today hopefully and see what happen 

• Like 2

Icv clean made it alot better, but still had issues. Got dad's timing light and checked it. 

Car was set at about 35btdc.. I bumped it a little advanced earlier but into a couple degrees. Anyway it's 99% good now shockingly. 

I suspect I could get it slightly better if I fitted something like an apexi safc II and fiddling with fuel down low. My brother has one in his lockup which I may fit at some point. They look pretty cool at any rate. 

The cars still mid polish job so havnt driven it, but am pretty keen to see how it's running on the street now. 

• Like 1

Yup good outcome that cleaning the ISCV and setting the timing works. If its in the ballpark you should be able to fuck around and get it better over time.

100% on getting some new gas and a injector cleaner in there, I think the nulon one is the only over the counter that has PEA.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BlownCorona said:

had been running on 95 pre paint job as 98 was not everywhere and real expensive. but recently npd have rolled out 100 at a reasonable price and nearly every station. 

I hear the NPD 100oct is an ethanol blend?

20 minutes ago, kws said:

I hear the NPD 100oct is an ethanol blend?

NPD 100Plus is one of the highest octane, road legal petrol products to be

offered in the South Island from an established fuel retail network.

NPD 100Plus is designed to deliver clean-burning power and efficiency and can

improve throttle response from your engine. *

NPD 100Plus is a specially formulated unleaded petrol with no ethanol content.

• Like 2