Generic Wiring Kits - Advice

KKtrips

Just now, flyingbrick said:

i  was just reading this post,  stick to the known brands like painless there are some cheap knockoffs around,  they are the easiest way to  do  a rewire from scratch only thing worth addding is relays for heavy loads like headlights, grab a factory diagram  for the commodore and give it a go (dont just  cut  the old loom out may need to  trace out heater and wiper wiring)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, vk327 said:

i  was just reading this post,  stick to the known brands like painless there are some cheap knockoffs around,  they are the easiest way to  do  a rewire from scratch only thing worth addding is relays for heavy loads like headlights, grab a factory diagram  for the commodore and give it a go (dont just  cut  the old loom out may need to  trace out heater and wiper wiring)

I have fully removed the wiring loom, so nothing to "cut out" (it's still all one piece at the back of my lockup)

Did you get a generic one or the GM keyed column version?

I havnt used one myself, i tend to  build my own custom ones.  my  vk is custom front half re wired all moved under dash,  the generic one would prob be best as the us gm stuff is s bit different,  would recommend getting a decent open barrel crimper and brass terminals, de pin and reuse the connector housings for the like of ignition switch headlights etc inside the car i normally use basic unsealed connectors,  under car/engine bay  I prefer deutsch connectors,  weatherpack is another good option for sealed connectors 

• Like 1