Tortron's 1985 DR200 *they call me mello yello*

tortron

1 minute ago, flyingbrick said:

Surely that spare 200cc motor is going into the gn!!?? 

Who knows where i might find a bike without an engine in it, would be cool if i found one where a dr200 basically bolts right in and doubles the hp. But as far as i know none such exists. Will have to keep looking

• Like 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Front brake outer seal has either gone to shit or been goobed with black silicon. The black goop down in the corner parts of the caliper seem to agree with it being silicon. It's also on the piston, so that's why it's sticking. Caliper and piston are otherwise in excellent condition so I think they probably hamfisted that seal and panicked. Throw a seal kit at it I'd say

IMG_20201222_145743.thumb.jpg.991fede9784a60d0c6ef4800c7dd8b94.jpg

Parts are cheap online but don't wanna wait for a new caliper so will pay the same price for a seal kit locally lol

• Like 2

Decided to install a neutral light and high beam light. Was going to put some lenses in the original dash cluster but have to destroy it it seems to get into it, and it's in pretty rough condition.

So I wired in the idiot lamp cluster from the steel tank DR, robbed the neutral switch off that. Made a new bit of loom, and installed it all on the 85.

Need to make a bracket to hold it all, will make something out of panel steel probably. Also got all the brake switches hooked up.

Just need to make a tail light set up now 

(And swap the swingarms and do the front brake)

IMG_20201224_150454.jpg

Edit* i just bought another ign/dash unit (with my luck its already got all the other lamps in it too lol) so will set this up to loog stock. mint

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Done front brake seals, sump filter seal, just noticed the output shaft is leaking so ordering 2 seals for that.

Done some more work on the ign lamps and that's almost done, probs wants a new battery, but it's kick start so who cares

Taking swing arm off the 85 as the guard tabs have been ground off, rebuilding 2003 swing arm and putting that on. Kept an eye out and got all the parts for half price. Ver nicccccc

Too much trash piled in shed so started putting the 87 back together. Have 99% of the parts once I took a few from the 2003 from cam. (Just ignore the condition of them when bolting them on and its fine)

Needs front caliper, I got a probably stuffed master and line for $1 so will see if that will come back to life. Fork seals (Gona buy bulk and rebuild the 20 or so dampeners I have) Rear wheel bearings, rear brake shoes, springs, and rod. Will get the recently rebuilt swing arm from the 85 so that's all G. Got a few engines to look at but should have something there that will go hard. So should get that bike running for a couple Hundy in bits and pieces. Almost funds itself as I sell off the parts I don't need

IMG_20210128_180906.thumb.jpg.e7ae98a17296deb36b7c2b7d7708f6e9.jpg

IMG_20210128_180915.thumb.jpg.f69c7c26396c8276b5f7b5a2a148f626.jpg

Two of the exact same bike. Max barry

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

On further inspection it looks like DR was rereg in 1997 so no black plate for me. Which is also good cos now i can pay for rerego instead of novelty plates

Put some hand guards on

IMG_20210209_152315.thumb.jpg.204441e957c33221c59c522afa406738.jpg

Current list is finish up ign panel, make a sub loom for tail lights. Replace output shaft seal and o-ring. Make some spacers so I can press out the fused solid bearings from the other swing arm and rebuild that to swap in.

Then sell some junk to pay for Rego

• Like 1

Pressed the old bearings and bushings out of the 2003 swing arm. Strong smell of cow shit despite degreasing and scrubbing it 3 times. No trace of grease anywhere, would have never come out without the 20ton press. How good is having that.

Old bearings were a plastic bush, new allballs are needle bearings, that I loaded up with marine grease, because I always end up riding in the rain.

Then I realised I had two sets of swingarm kits and no kit for the shock linkage. Dumb.

Don't need a full kit for that, but may as well get one to rebuild the parts going into the other bike too. Gimme a few weeks I guess

• Like 1

Parts were ordered, but lets see if they get past jacinda to get to me this week.

Have been keeping track of costs and bits i have sold.

WIll put up a cost breakdown once its all done, but so far its worked out to be (purchase price, fuel, parts bought for both bikes, parts sold from the hoard) $1800

It will take about $200 or so more in parts to have the 87 as a complete ridable dirt/farm bike

from that about $1600 was for the 85 to get it up to rerego standards - so after re rego, looking at just under 2k for a road legal dual sport with retro appeal, which is pretty good i think.

So total cost call it $2500 for a road legal dr200, which is about market price it seems. But i then have a free dirt dr200 and shed load of spares, so after i offload those its looking pretty good (plus if you want a regod dr200 you dont get a rad 80s one, so extra retro factor in there)

IMG_20210215_150249.thumb.jpg.411b8f2370078e8a33f93f5db6919421.jpg

Been putting the 87 together today. Putting parts on it as i find them in the boxes. Pretty happy to find most of it. Things its missing

front caliper, hose, and master cylinder - if im buying one i might see if i can get a better set up from something else for the same or less price

Rear brake shoes, rod, return springs, lever - got the pedal and shoes coming, rest is available

side plastic mounting bolts

speedo cable

Got heaps of bearing kits and seals so i pretty much have everyhting to make that an actual decent bike

• Like 6

On 22/12/2020 at 14:58, tortron said:

Front brake outer seal has either gone to shit or been goobed with black silicon. The black goop down in the corner parts of the caliper seem to agree with it being silicon. It's also on the piston, so that's why it's sticking. Caliper and piston are otherwise in excellent condition so I think they probably hamfisted that seal and panicked. Throw a seal kit at it I'd say

IMG_20201222_145743.thumb.jpg.991fede9784a60d0c6ef4800c7dd8b94.jpg

Parts are cheap online but don't wanna wait for a new caliper so will pay the same price for a seal kit locally lol

Most of the time I put the outer seal in the bin.

Swapped the other swing arm in one that was in there had been freshly rebuilt which made it easy, and it's got new grooved brake shoes. So I think all the chassis has had new bearings and seals.

Now I can run a chain guard (and the 87 gets a rebuilt swing arm too)

IMG_20210223_131931.thumb.jpg.f6bf9453f079fb27bde8c5cc0cc52486.jpg

IMG_20210223_131941.thumb.jpg.a75dd0a390c5f5f273bee30dc34fbb75.jpg

IMG_20210223_131959.thumb.jpg.f8ffac23d1524b8bb7289c40d967c5a0.jpg

Cut down the farm spec chain guard to roughly what a current road spec one looks like. It's missing the last half inch but I cut it off square and think it's ok.

Ready for rerego now

• Like 7

Noticed the upper triple clamp was hitting the tank when turned all the way left. Starting to leave a mark on the tank and it would suck to bust a nla plastic tank (but I looked into it and I'm pretty sure I could fit an aftermarket dr350 safari long range tank) (or a steel dr200 tank with some mods to the front mounts but that's lame).

The stop on the frame was a little bent up at the front, hammering that back down helped a little but still hitting. So welded a bead on it, now it's perfectIMG_20210223_203026.thumb.jpg.6aee183cdc3236df18e214e4d0bf99a5.jpg

Tail light is nice and bright, really happy with how that came together

IMG_20210223_203018.thumb.jpg.de9ccbf633e1377cdb9d10518b5ba37f.jpg

• Like 7