Tomble's 1983 Starion GSR-X fumbling / hand-holding / discussion

tomble

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 04/03/2022 at 03:14, fuel said:

You found a N/A Starion GS? like actual GS with live axle, solid discs etc? If you are parting it out, I could be interested in some parts. What colour is the interior?

Sorry for late reply... I've been incredibly busy!

It has a NA engine but it's GSR-II.  I guess a past owner had their motor blow up or something.

I'm not 100% on what is happening with it just yet - ideally this is just a parts car but it might be a more economical to start with it as a base.  In which case I guess the other car is the parts car lol.  But yes, there will be leftover parts.... eventually.  The interior is grey cloth + leather.  I'll be snaffling some of it as the other car's interior is toast.

On 05/03/2022 at 23:24, Dell'orto said:

Is this going to be a case of buying a parts car that's too good to wreck so becomes a second project car? 

Ugh... I hope not!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Nominal said:

Nice work on increasing the collection size, always hand to have a parts car

or two

or three

Before this one came up for sale there were 2-3 other feasible "parts" cars (registered too) that we passed on because "we don't have space".  I supressed my FOMO, usually it's misplaced anyway.  But this is one circumstance in which I really wish we jumped on one of those earlier cars - especially Zac's exit from the scene.  Live and learn.

20 minutes ago, PSk said:

Tomble,

Most impressive plating and I hope I can learn from your very detailed posts above on this subject!!

A couple of things:

1. Since your Mitsubishi Starion has been de-registered you will need to have her certified if you want to ever register and drive the car on NZ roads again. I've just been through this, well nearly done, and you ABSOLUTELY should contact them NOW as the way it is supposed to work is you work with them while you make repairs. They guide and approve as you go. The process is not designed to work with you showing up with a shiny restored car and wanting them to certify it at the end.
    This might not be an issue if all the metal work repairs are done by a professional shop ... ?
  2. How did you get your Yellow Chromate for your plating please? I have a Caswell kit and to get it from Australia, even for the tiniest amount, is $1000 due to shipping of an acid issues. So I'd really appreciate some insight here, or even maybe to purchase some from you ... ?

Love you and partners work

Pete

Thanks @PSk.  Moving convo here :)

I've been in contact with a repair certifier and the panel beatie bois are now also in contact with him.  They have a good relationship and don't think that anyone will be surprised by anything throughout this process (except maybe me when I look at the bill but hopefully that's a pleasant one!)

Regarding yellow chromate I got mine as an included part of my zinc kit from Jane Kits - they call it Gold Bright and didn't have any crazy shipping charges.  Their website doesn't ship to NZ but if you contact them they can quote you shipping.

@Bling

9 minutes ago, Bling said:

I think it comes down to what you want to do. If you want to lower it and have the money, the FA stuff, in my mind, will work. The common cars are all done with off the shelf parts, but anything else requires a bit of work to get sorted. My car has the setup from a slightly newer chassis, but most things fit. Even so, I have had a lot of pissing around to get it all working nicely. It's the cost of having less common cars and wanting new parts.

What are the strut casing diameters front vs rear? 

It will require a lot of maths to get it right, but I think it's doable. To me it just seems like the rears are crimped as someone mentioned earlier I think. If the strut casings are the same size, then that should at least make things easier. 

Do XYZ have bolt in coilovers for the car or are they weld in too?

Also I wouldn't bother getting anything blasted or powdercoated yet, work out the plan first otherwise you may well find having to pay someone to remove all the freshly paid for coatings.

Too late, the fronts were sent off a couple weeks ago :).  Definitely jumped the gun.  I'll measure them when they get back and compare to the rears.  

I likely want to lower it, though the amount depends on where my new wheels land in the wells.  Better make a post about them I suppose.

The coilover brands just have generic images so it's difficult to know what welding is required, but with some internet sleuthing... Ksport have fronts that need welding and rears that are ready to go.  D2 appear to be the same.  I've sent off an email for XYZ coilovers to confirm that it's the same.

• 1 month later...

Hey just a thought and maybe you have already thought of this but your N/A transmission may not work with the turbo engine.

I believe that N/A engines are often a narrow block design (but not always) while the turbos are a wide block.

The bellhousing may not bolt up to the turbo engine so it might pay to do some measuring to see what you actually have.

The gear ratos are also diferent for the turbo engine.

I have a transmission under my workbench that I believe is a wide block Turbo Starion item so let me know if you want to grab it.

Free to a good home if you are willing to collect or ship it from Matata in the Bay of Plenty. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1963 AP5 said:

Hey just a thought and maybe you have already thought of this but your N/A transmission may not work with the turbo engine.

I believe that N/A engines are often a narrow block design (but not always) while the turbos are a wide block.

The bellhousing may not bolt up to the turbo engine so it might pay to do some measuring to see what you actually have.

The gear ratos are also diferent for the turbo engine.

I have a transmission under my workbench that I believe is a wide block Turbo Starion item so let me know if you want to grab it.

Free to a good home if you are willing to collect or ship it from Matata in the Bay of Plenty. 

Ooooh bugger!  Thank you for the heads up and your very generous offer - I'll have a measure up and get back to you...

Nice, it's all yours.

If you don't have a use for the N/A narrow block flywheel and clutch, I can give it a good home.

I have a feeling @MaxPower may have the flywheel that you need for your wide block turbo engine.

He has a fine stash of Mitsubishi goodies so it might be worth touching base with him.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Goat said:

Always enjoy your updates!

Everything looks so good going together with re-plated fasteners and powdercoated gubbins.

Yeah it's just a shame about the dirty rubber!  I actually polished all the strut rubber I was re-using lol, but the bellows seem to have become one with the dirt.

I did also get a bit lazy on on the rear strut bodies.  They couldn't be powdercoated so they missed out on the treatment that the rest of the bits got, and I just don't want to fiddle with them any more, especially given that even if I re-use in the final build them they'll be going off for modification anyway - so I'd want to wait to clean them up after that.

It's definitely slower putting stuff on than taking it off but so much more rewarding and easier to motivate myself.  I spent the entire day in a sauna of a garage yesterday and didn't notice I had until dinner.