Tomble's 1983 Starion GSR-X fumbling / hand-holding / discussion

tomble

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That cranking speed sounds much better!

I found a piece of hardened screw extractor in a screwhead on a Bell 412 bulkhead securing screw once. Found it with a drillbit, would not recommend. Countersunk screw, so I had to chisel it out, also would not recommend.

Your spark leaking like that... I'm assuming the other end of the lead attached to the coil was floating in midair and not looped back around to the dizzy somehow? Getting spark is good news, that's a bit part of 'getting her started' job sorted!

If that motor has been sitting for ages, I wouldn't read too much into the compression test results at the moment. Quite likely the rings are pretty gunged up and sticking in the ringlands. Will need a little bit of running and a couple of heat cycles, then check it again. Nothing in those readings should stop it starting.

You've got spark, You've got compression (mostly, lol), how's that fuel lookin? If you remove the intake pipe can you see them spraying?

If that head proves to be a real problem, with the sparkplug thread I'm pretty sure I've got a couple of JDM jet valve heads in the storage unit.

Much success :-).

Yeah the ignition coil isn't connected to anything :).  I actually got a spare one from rockauto.com as the current one has some rust I can see when looking down the top of it, and it was cheap.

The fuel system is mostly off the car at the moment, or at least all the rear stuff is.  I've got a new fuel pump but still need to sort my fuel tank out re: rust before I even think of putting that back on, and would also want new hoses... and of course need to sort out the pickup lines and gauge sensor.  I did hear the fuel pump going when it was still attached and the key was turned so the electronics are probably fine.

So I was just planning on opening the carb up and spraying Start ya bastard into it for the first run... and then decide whether we want to put the fuel system back on for a drive around the cul-de-sac before we strip everything off the body.  Or just get straight to the stripping.

1 hour ago, ProZac said:

If that head proves to be a real problem, with the sparkplug thread I'm pretty sure I've got a couple of JDM jet valve heads in the storage unit.

What dis?

Deffo get it going for a quick ride before you strip it apart! Even if you just have the stock fuel pump sucking from and returning to a temporarily mounted 5l jerry can or something.

JDM cars had jet valve heads. They're there like little auxiliary intake valves (the head on them is like, maybe 7mm diameter?) that are meant to introduce swirl into the combustion chamber and help with fuel mixture. Lots of debate as to whether they actually do anything, and most often people want the heads that didnt have them as they're less prone to cracking. Means the jet valve heads are easier and cheaper to find tho.

• Like 1

On 17/01/2021 at 17:54, ajg193 said:

Blocked injectors won't cause the fuel pressure to go so high that it leaks.

You've either got a bad fuel pressure regulator, or more likely that o-ring is actually leaking because it is old and no longer supple.

Good to know... time to learn about fuel pressure regulators <.<

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dell&#x27;orto said:

Nice result, gotta be happy to hear that first fire up!

Over all three of Earth's recognised moons!

Struggling now to know what to search for re: getting that hose replaced / recrimped / whatever

22 hours ago, tomble said:

Over all three of Earth's recognised moons!

Struggling now to know what to search for re: getting that hose replaced / recrimped / whatever

Most hydraulic places should be able to make you up a hose from memory 

• Like 1

YUS YUS YUS! Oh hells yes. Genuine smile from ear to ear watching that my man!

Sounds really good too! Smooth idle, which is very odd for the TBI injection system. Awesome!

That line is threaded one one end where it connects to the hard line under the car, and a banjo at the other from memory? I checked my parts stash but don't have a spare one alas, otherwise I'd send it on up.

For making a new line, the banjo end would be a pretty easy solve, it'll be a standard metric size, but NFI what the other end is. But pull it off and take it into a hydraulic hose place and see what they say?

Still, that's just excellent. Major mojo boost :-).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ProZac said:

That line is threaded one one end where it connects to the hard line under the car, and a banjo at the other from memory? I checked my parts stash but don't have a spare one alas, otherwise I'd send it on up.

For making a new line, the banjo end would be a pretty easy solve, it'll be a standard metric size, but NFI what the other end is. But pull it off and take it into a hydraulic hose place and see what they say?

Hells to the yea.

The hose is from the filter to the carb, so banjo on the filter end and the funky um, thing, that I replaced the o-ring on at the carb end.  I'll remove it later this week and post a pic.  

I think I have everything to replace the hose myself if I'm able to get the crimped dooberies off.  If not, hydraulic place to the rescue - though I might just skip a step and take it straight there...

Hydratech here in upper hutt did me a solid with more professionalism than a random dude walking in with 30cm of hose deserves.

OxvuxFg.png

KhmTk3f.png

Will rejerry the jerry rigged jerry can and test it tomorrow morning.

Also wtf is with the cost of copper washers in NZ

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, tomble said:

Hydratech here in upper hutt did me a solid with more professionalism than a random dude walking in with 30cm of hose deserves.

OxvuxFg.png

KhmTk3f.png

Will rejerry the jerry rigged jerry can and test it tomorrow morning.

Also wtf is with the cost of copper washers in NZ

Just heat the old ones to red hot and let them cool to soften the metal

• Like 1