Tomble's 1983 Starion GSR-X fumbling / hand-holding / discussion

tomble

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Typical, fix something and the other end has issues. Don't stress to much, I found a small fuel leak from a loose fuel drain screw the other day. Previously had a massive leak on the return. I've currently got a small powersteering fluid leak, small gearbox oil leak and a small engine oil leak.

Good old mitsi's

How did you go getting the fuel tank reconditioned? if its to far gone can always look into going to a fuel cell (pretty sure that requires a cert however)

I have an Aeromotive fuel cell setup with my fabricator for my track car, so if you need to have a look at one for sizing let me know

• Like 1

14 hours ago, shrike said:

Typical, fix something and the other end has issues. Don't stress to much, I found a small fuel leak from a loose fuel drain screw the other day. Previously had a massive leak on the return. I've currently got a small powersteering fluid leak, small gearbox oil leak and a small engine oil leak.

Good old mitsi's

How did you go getting the fuel tank reconditioned? if its to far gone can always look into going to a fuel cell (pretty sure that requires a cert however)

I have an Aeromotive fuel cell setup with my fabricator for my track car, so if you need to have a look at one for sizing let me know

I'll have to look into fuel cells then.

Currently not restored, I've been asking around and gotten some quotes of between $150~ and $1100 for varying levels of quality.  Currently I'm leaning towards going full circle and doing it myself with a POR-15 kit...

I've got a leak candidate fix in place as of yesterday evening so this morning I'll be giving that a go :D

Just a heads up, that hose isn't EFI rated fuel hose. And those clamps aren't EFI rated. If you ever need to get a cert they will pull you up on that.

Also, be careful with 'acceptable leaks'. It really doesn't take much to ruin your day - ask me how I know

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ajg193 said:

Just a heads up, that hose isn't EFI rated fuel hose. And those clamps aren't EFI rated. If you ever need to get a cert they will pull you up on that.

Also, be careful with 'acceptable leaks'. It really doesn't take much to ruin your day - ask me how I know

Hmm thanks.  That's annoying - I thought I got the EFI hose at supercheap and the guy was like yeah mate these clips are what you want.  That was some expensive kit too. I'll have to re-do it with the proper stuff at the other end of the tunnel I guess, sigh.

17 minutes ago, ajg193 said:

You need J30R9 hose for injection systems.

Stay away from Supercheap for that stuff. Go to BNT

Clamps look like this

18-0032.jpg?20180308134101

They don't cut into the hose like the other type do

If you have the time you can harvest good clamps from Pick-a-Part etc.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Another typically fun few updates to catch up on. Just read them and Hannah was reading it too and we both giggled with delight when your car started and your girlface started giggling. Its such a cool thing when an engine starts for the first time and this can only be bloody amazing considering you're both new fresh barrys to the world of shitty old car tinkering.

Congrats from us!

Keep the great updates coming!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

Another typically fun few updates to catch up on. Just read them and Hannah was reading it too and we both giggled with delight when your car started and your girlface started giggling. Its such a cool thing when an engine starts for the first time and this can only be bloody amazing considering you're both new fresh barrys to the world of shitty old car tinkering.

Congrats from us!

Keep the great updates coming!

Thank you so much, I'm glad babbyfaces like us can give a bunch of experienced car wranglers entertainment :)

To think of all the stuff i've learned since we bought this at the end of october.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

Will you be looking to convert it to a manual in the future?

It's a strong possibility, I'd prefer manual.  This initial resto has enough on my plate already though so it'll be down the line if it happens.

Manual is also easier to convert to electric if that happens to become a priority at some point.... ;-)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ProZac said:

An EV Starion really tickles my pickle. Awesome that you've had her moving mate! For the lack of power, have you set the timing since you put the replacement distributor in place?

I followed this guide, sans checking the actual timing (no light).  It feels like it's revving quite high, I might take it for another jaunt to get some more concrete info :D

On 28/02/2021 at 21:50, CUL8R said:

Have you checked the transfluid - check the colour and smell of it - rosey red or burnt black and smelling like burnt toast?

And of course the level is important too - might explain the shifting problems

It's rosey and definitely doesn't smell of toast.

It's also very full, all the way to the top of the 'hot' mark when cold (wasn't me!)

On 04/03/2021 at 07:45, tomble said:

I followed this guide, sans checking the actual timing (no light).  It feels like it's revving quite high, I might take it for another jaunt to get some more concrete info :D

Yeah, because the distributor is also the trigger system sending RPM info to the ignitor box, you really need to set the timing with a light.

5 hours ago, ProZac said:

Yeah, because the distributor is also the trigger system sending RPM info to the ignitor box, you really need to set the timing with a light.

Eyeballing it fails again.

I'll make sure to set it all back up right when I start putting it back together

• 1 month later...

Sweet project car to start off with.

Its also nice to see a couple who don't know much about cars to give it a go and learn along the way. this is also the best way to learn but can also be frustrating and disappointing when you don't know how to fix an issue or break something from a rookie move.

Also with the fuel tank situation I've seen very mixed results with the por15 kit. where a friend did his and the sealer did not stick and went through the fuel system. tank was a throw away and rockauto to the rescue for a new one.

i also guess that the budget on this vehicle is limited just by going on the posts. as have seen people often get there fuel tanks reco'd but can be spendy. but often radiator shops can do this service. which i suspect the tank gets electroplated  

also now that you found media blasting. often getting a small blasting booth is handy for car resto stuff and would be a good investment. 

also yeah get proper efi rated fuel pressure hose. because being efi the system runs at a higher pressure. where a car with a carb might only run at 5-15 psi. and any hose clamp is better than none. 

keep up the good work 

And if you get stuck on something there's plenty of people on the forum who can help or take a look through the tech talk part of the forum.      

• Like 1