MACKAZs elcheapo boat/tightwad other projects

MACKAZ

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I broke the new engine. Nothing major, the plastic doofer that holds the engine "up" has taken a big chunk out of itself (nothing to do with my burly frame using it as a support) and it won't stay up anymore. New part has been ordered, a princely sum of $10.50 but not intending to go home until Friday. I've put it on the trailer until I can fix it. Unkeen on waking up to a smashed skeg or prop. 

Miss18 not impressed

10 hours ago, HighLUX said:

Cant use a screwdriver or something to prop it up for now/those plastic bits in evinrude/johnnhys seem like planned obsolescence to make more off initial purchase price

image.jpeg.05561abf8f071c5774ab1ed73c3633e2.jpeg

I couldn't agree more, I'm considering making one out of a block of aluminium. Im thinking as it spent the first 23 yrs of its life on the back of a boat as an auxiliary it was probably up on that stop. Years of being in that position and its just worn away. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Dragged Hull home from work lockup where its been since March. Collected engine/fuel tanks/fishing gear from storage lockup. Life jackets out of the caravan (at same work lockup). Only thing I can't find is the anchor and rope. Currently impatiently waiting for Savebarn to open to buy rope and a grapple anchor. Workmate has given me an old sand anchor. 

Ran engine up last night once I remembered how to start it. Electrical check. Battery charged. Assemble anchor setup tonight

Bring on next week. Here fishy fishy 

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

Well summers upon us, and the annual January holiday is 6 weeks away. Time to drag it out and get it ready. 

Last time I used it I managed to tear a rowlock off, so that's to be done. 

The depth sounder I bought seems to be faulty. Lucky for me workmate just put flash new one in his boat so got his cast off for $25. Need to fit that. 

Really keen to get bimini top for some shade. It's like a fricking frying pan. 

But first need to remove the ton of crap in front of it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bimini on. The depth sounder (I don't call them fish finders, cos I don't normally catch any) is fully wired and functional. 

IMG_20211227_182351.thumb.jpg.b9edf67ab084640fa19346c63928f32d.jpg

Ive dropped the hull on the back lawn and applying a fresh layer of cold galv where surface rust is showing through. 

Not so elcheapo now, owes me just over $2800, but I suppose its cheap compared to buying one in similar state. 

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

This is going on the market very soon. It's been a great boat but need something a bit bigger to accommodate the entire family. So I'm looking for something around the 15ft+mark to graduate to. 

Just waiting for a free selling weekend on TradeMe....

• 4 months later...

And the chapter of boat ownership has come to an end. Collected yesterday and actually made a small profit from it. If all goes well and to plan I’ll continue this thread with something completely different

watch this space

• Like 5