Cute Wee Gem's Dyno build

cute wee gem

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice,   what are you going to use for the rollers and controller?    there is a diy dyno page on facebook, with a few dudes who seem to know what they are on about if you're not on there already  

Mines an old vane bed  like the one your originally bid on.  but a 6000,  not sure if its a cc130 or cc160 retarder. previous owner had the rollers knurled seems to grip fine when car is tied down right.  think the retarder is getting a little tired tho

I'm fabricating my own roller. I'm a bit further ahead than my first post so I will update in the coming weeks with more deets.

I'm going to use the YourDyno controller and they have just bought out their own eddy power supply as well - it's constantly under development but appears to be quite decent. I would have gone with Sport Devices but they were way over my budget.

PS I do watch your youtube stuff (love all the content btw!) - I assume your Vane is a modified one by torque performance? Knurled rollers do make a huge difference apparently.

• Like 2

sweet,  keen to see how you get on.   assume you are going to run a fairly large roller to keep the retarder speed down? 

yeh mine has torque performance  (dyno torque) control setup.     It must have been one of the last ones they done, before getting out of the game.   Its no longer supported etc.  so ive cloned the hard drives just in case one of the computers dies.  does what it needs to do, so will keep it going as long as the controller board lasts. before looking into any other control setup for it.

Yep I'm going to use a 762mm roller as some of the bigger/older Telma's like mine are speed limited to 2100rpm (newer ones are 3000rpm for this frame size) - I have talked to Telma and they can do a new hub assembly which is capable of 5000rpm however, but are around $2700 before shipping and taxes.

I had a look at the DIY dyno FB page today and there is some good reviews on the Yourdyno stuff, so that gives me some confidence.

• Like 1

Yep there are a few different options. Knurling being the most popular on rolling roads, machined traction grooves aren't as common but is meant to be better than diamond knurling, and I have also seen a spray welded texture finish on brake testing machine rollers at the local truck COF station

• Like 1

On 17/11/2020 at 20:39, kpr said:

Should be good for a stack of power with that roller,  the inertia  will take a lot of load off the retarder

According to my rough math it should suck about 80-100kw + another 5kw (for the retarder rotors) to accelerate the roller over a 6 second ramp run. But not only am I not an engineer, I'm also not a mathematician lol

Retarder when cold can fully brake about 150kw at 500 rpm (roller speed) and about 470kw at 1500 rpm and about 620kw at full song  (2000rpm)

To put it into real terms, using my Gemini for example - makes roughly 40kw at 2500rpm (500rpm roller speed) and 180kw at 7700 (1500rpm roller speed)

So the retarder should be able to steady state a car with 2.5 - 3.5 times the power and who knows how much more with ramp runs? Surely 700-800kw? Time will tell.

• Like 3

On 17/11/2020 at 20:06, cute wee gem said:

Yep there are a few different options. Knurling being the most popular on rolling roads, machined traction grooves aren't as common but is meant to be better than diamond knurling, and I have also seen a spray welded texture finish on brake testing machine rollers at the local truck COF station

Paint with sand in it?