Help Tunerpro!! GM ECU Hacking. (Muncie Tries to Nuke his Ecotec)

Muncie

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Read the bin saved 2 copys but for whatever reason i cant figure out how to open it in tunerpro to unset it from the parameter tree.

Failed somewhere.... ecu is still happy though connecting fine etc so original back in.

Data errors i was getting are gone after changing a few settings so thats a start.

Watched few videos and got different results gah! Frustrating.

So after saving some data from the original ECU i fit the replacement Ecu hooked in with OSE Flash tool and loaded the Bin file.

Successfully too after a second attempt i got a scary pop-up message first go that wasn't mentioned in the step-by-step from pcmhacking.net leaving the the ecu with no vin number so no start. 

Seems a bit more peppy and idle is better when warm than before. My bet when its stone cold I'll have the fucked idle still because ive cloned the ecu. But now i can safely jam a new map in it and i know this ecu Hasn't had the ignition system shit itself while plugged into it.

Getting there.

Cold start still shit as expected. However drives way better rev counter needle no longer flicking so must have been an issue with the CAN output to dash. 

Hoping i can now flash a stock tune into it and that will sort the cold start. Did some data logging lastnight nothing untoward going on (no weird spikes or flat lines)except the ecu isn't commanding the IAC to do anything at idle hence very low idle.

image.png.3e34769d6e14b68f48f52f960b1d131a.png

Sweet Downloaded XDF File now i can see whats goin and turn stuff on and off. Compared the tune I downloaded from net against stock from the ECU I installed only minor changes so will zap it in tonight can always go back to stock if its balls.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Muncie said:

Cold start still shit as expected. However drives way better rev counter needle no longer flicking so must have been an issue with the CAN output to dash. 

Hoping i can now flash a stock tune into it and that will sort the cold start. Did some data logging lastnight nothing untoward going on (no weird spikes or flat lines)except the ecu isn't commanding the IAC to do anything at idle hence very low idle.

Tachometer signal is direct wired from the dfi module, only think i think that would affect that is the ecu doing something screwy with the timing control, the commodore dash only reads fault codes oil light and temp from the aldl data line speedo and tach are hardwired pulse signals 

• Like 1

My rough cold start symptoms persist still.... improved with new ecu but still there im not getting fault codes yet so something on the engines playing up. 

Time to collect more data annoyingly the problem only exists from stone cold (morning) and 2-3 minutes,setting up for a data logging at 5am is a pain in but. 

Ive got a brand new DFI that the car wouldn't run on i will throw back in as it fully seems ignition related. 

Of note too the car runs hardly any different with the cam sync sensor disconnected revs a bit sluggish but not terrible.

9 minutes ago, vk327 said:

Tachometer signal is direct wired from the dfi module, only think i think that would affect that is the ecu doing something screwy with the timing control, the commodore dash only reads fault codes oil light and temp from the aldl data line speedo and tach are hardwired pulse signals 

Your input is bloody helpful for me trying to get my head around this shit.

Im bloody determined to nail this gremlin so i can move onto fabbing some nice pipes and jam a turbo on and tune it myself.

1 hour ago, tortron said:

how about you get a different coolant temp + air intake temp sensor and try those?

or if you have - plug the spare ones in and keep them cool so car thinks its cold?

Yeah worth a try they appear read well but something weird could be going on at startup giving weird signals to ecu.

14 hours ago, Muncie said:

My rough cold start symptoms persist still.... improved with new ecu but still there im not getting fault codes yet so something on the engines playing up. 

Time to collect more data annoyingly the problem only exists from stone cold (morning) and 2-3 minutes,setting up for a data logging at 5am is a pain in but. 

Ive got a brand new DFI that the car wouldn't run on i will throw back in as it fully seems ignition related. 

Of note too the car runs hardly any different with the cam sync sensor disconnected revs a bit sluggish but not terrible.

unplugging cam sensor will throw the ecu to  a failure mode back to batch fire injection instead of sequential, it uses the cam sync to identify the start of the injection cycle, iv got a whole dfi and ignition coil set here on the vr im parting out if you wanna give it a go and see if that changes anything

So out of interest while it was running shit this morning i floored it to see what would happen it maybe got to 1900-2200rpm and popped and banged out intake. Something really bloody weird must be going on with timing, its like a 2 step only out the intake.